Chapter 23

"...I beg your pardon?"

I doubted my ears for a moment.

Huh...?

Dating? What now?

The ticklish word 'love,' and the man in front of me were foreign substances that could not coexist, like fire and water.

"You would like to date me?"

A languid voice escaped from his mouth.

"Why not?"

Saying that, Cassius looked genuinely puzzled.

The thought of trying to explain to him popped up in my head, though I soon gave it up. It was because the chances of making him understand were close to zero, anyway.

"What if I refuse?"

"That is all right."

He replied so calmly that it felt strange.

"I do not mind keeping the shell of the Young Lady by my side."

At his words, I stumbled and fell to the floor. My head was dizzy. If the person speaking was not Cassius, I would have thought it was a joke.

However, he is Cassius Brudenell.

The dangerous gaze of a man who seemed to be stuck by my side, even if I refused him to the end, gazed over me.

"But, it will not be all right for Young Lady."

"...."

I closed my mouth.

Maybe... This could be his own consideration. I could be dragged away by force, but the consideration that he would not do so-the consideration to give me a chance to 'go out' with him.

I looked straight at Cassius. Well, if I could not avoid it, I had to dive into it head-on.

"Where is Ophelia?"

"....?"

Cassius frowned before opening his mouth.

"Is that the only thing you are curious about right now?"
​​
"That is...!"

"Miss Ophelia is doing well. I guarantee it."

He slowly continued, spoke slowly. "The Duke is treating her with respect, so you do not have to worry about her."

"... That is a relief."

I muttered a little.

To be honest, I was a little surprised at first to hear she was with the Duke of Brudenell, but if I think about it, it might have been better off than going back to the Count of Garneid.

Because my parents were never the ones who would let Ophelia, who helped me escape, be free.

A little relief filled my heart.

"Do you have any other questions?"

That was good news because the most important thing I must hear from him remains.

"Do you intend to force me off this ship?"

Hearing my question, one of Cassius' eyebrows rose.

"There is no way. Evelyn, again, I would like to have a relationship with you. Of course, your wishes come first."

It could not be denied that Cassius had a talent for making people faint with just normal words.

My wish is the number one priority...

It was not a word that could come out of Cassius Brudenell's mouth if he had a conscience. But, for now, I have to accept it.

"I had already expected that you would want to stay on the ship. So..."