Chapter 35

Chapter 35

I gasped for breath.

​​My body was stiff and tense even though I said only a few words. As if I had spit out the words that would decide his life or death.

'Actually, it is no different.'

I was walking on a dangerous cliff. If you offend Cassius too much, you will die. However, if the development proceeds as I become his ideal type like this...

'I will have a worse life than dying.'

Cassius's answer did not take long.

"Evelyn, what do you want?"

Hearing those words, I swallowed dry saliva. His words were as generous as I had expected so far.
​​
"Please, let me be the handmaiden of the Empress."

Immediately after I uttered those words, silence enveloped us. Cassius gazed down at me in surprise, as if he had never expected the words.

Well, I am sure he was not.

Because volunteering to become the Empress's handmaiden was the stupidest thing a noble girl could do.

The Empress, Theresia, married the current Emperor, Pondiere the third, at the age of over forty.

The reason why King Pondiere the third chose Theresia as his second wife to succeed the former Empress whom he loved dearly was simple.

If he chose a young and healthy empress, an unwanted heir that was born could threaten the crown prince's position. In a word, Theresia was the perfect scarecrow Empress, with no regard for her parents, and no worries about having an heir due to her age.

Naturally, it was impossible for her to be treated well.

It was only at official events that she could sit by King Pondiere's side and wave her hand, but after that time, she would be locked up in the Empress's Palace and had to pass her time without receiving even frivolous visitors.

Therefore, the benefits of becoming the handmaiden of Empress Theresia were at best...

"You don't have to change your identity to marry me, Evelyn."

A rather harsh expression came out of Cassius' mouth.

I smiled bitterly.

The maidservant of the Imperial Family was a kind of bridal class that aristocratic Young Ladies of poor origin of many gossips went through before marriage. Of course, he must have thought that my purpose was identity laundering.

"Who dares to ignore you, the successor of Count Garneid? Please tell me their names right now. I..."

"If I tell you who it is, will you cut off their tongue this time?"

"...I will not do it because you do not want that."

I shook my head.

"It is not about that problem. I have admired the Empress for a long time, so I want to spend some time with her."

"What...?"

Cassius's voice trembled as if embarrassed.

Seeing that, I nodded my head loudly in the most silly way possible.

"Yes. I admire her. Before His Majesty's proposal, she devoted her whole life to helping the poor!"

Cassius's reaction was quite worth seeing.

Isn't his whole body shaking as though he had heard words he never imagined to hear?

Then, a terrified voice came out of his mouth.