Chapter 39

I gave strength to both hands, holding the hem of the dress.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't nervous. Ever since I was a child, whenever I sang, the surroundings used to get cold.

And, this time would be no exception.

Because I'm going to sing the theme song of the masterpiece musical 〈 The Phantom of the Opera 〉

One of the closest marquis whispered something to the person next to him with a face full of things to say.

Of course, I couldn't hear it, but I could guess the content. Perhaps, something along the lines of I am more of a fool than I look, or something like that. Nevertheless, it didn't matter since that was the reaction I wanted.

"Young, Young Lady Evelyn!"
​​
Someone hurriedly shouted from below the stage. Looking down, he was the servant of the Duke of Brudenell.

"What song should I tell the band to play?"

"Tell them to stay still. It's a song I wrote myself."

I replied loudly.

It must have been heard by everyone in the banquet hall.

Astonishment spread like a wave through the crowd. Even if I were to sing a common song, it would be compared to the great soprano who sang a while ago, though now, I wanted to sing my self-composed song.

It was crazy, unless I was a hidden genius.
​​
In fact, crazy was right too.

'Ha...'

I took a deep breath.

Now, it was time to start.

I opened my mouth wide and sang the first line of the theme song of 〈 The Phantom of the Opera 〉

...It was ruined.

I could feel it the moment the word first escaped my throat.

This was really messed up. A voice that wasn't well-tuned trembled unsteadily in the air... In fact, it was packed up, and in a word, the sound of a duck squeaking came out.

"....!"

The faces of the people gathered near the stage instantly reminded me of the expression, 'I knew I couldn't sing, but I didn't know it would be this much.'

To make an excuse, I'm not usually bad at singing to this extent. The feeling of tension and pressure, and the thought of making a fool of myself, produced a considerable amount of noise pollution.

'This is better.'

It was far better to achieve the purpose of a sudden failure when you fail halfway than not being able to remove the shell of Cassius.

I continued singing in a trembling voice.

There was a particularly noticeable reaction among the faces that were rotting without proper expression management.

'...As expected, she doesn't care.'

It was Princess Hermia.

While others tried to remain expressionless in consideration of the dignity of the Duke, but Princess Hermia was smiling openly and shaking her head.
​​
Nonetheless, I tried to find Cassius, though it was more difficult than I thought to find him, who mingled with the crowd while I was singing an intricate song.

Finally, the song was over.

I came down slowly.

There was no thunderous applause or enthusiastic response like when the soprano had finished singing a moment ago. Only, the expressions on their faces that seemed to have just passed by as if they couldn't even speak.