8

After mami introduced me to flaca, maritza and Gloria we went back to the dorms and mami helped me set up my bunk a bit more, she didnt ask about how i ended up her or why. we just stayed in comfortable silence.

it was still on my mind on who requested me to be in here.

i was so tired from the ride here that i skipped diner and went to bed. 

when i woke up the next morning i see mami sitting next to my bunk holding my hand.

"mami?" i asked all confused

"im so pissed right now, but im glad you're here and not anywhere else" she said as i got out of bed, she let go of my hand and threw a bag of cheetos at me, near missing my head.

i look around to see if i spotted any one i met yesterday

i saw daya talking to a guard, i was happy believe me but i saw her get really mad, she was pointing and had her signature mad face on. so i walked up to them.

"anything wrong here?"  i say putting my hand on daya, she hadnt realised it was me but when she looked at me her face softened.

"yes inmate now leave and go to chow" he snapped at me.

"aye, dont talk to her like that, thats my sister" it was daya who spoke up

the CO just turned and left, leaving a note on her cabnit

"vero" dayanara whispered as she wrapped her arms around my shoulders bringing me into a death grip hug.

"daya" i say wrapping my arms around her waist, noticing that she was bigger than i remember 

we pulled away and she grabbed my face noticing the small scare i have on my neck. thank you juan

"what the hell happened" she says 

"crazy ex" i shrugged realising it would be more hurtful talking about it.

"daya ive missed you" i say sitting on her bunk

"me too, marica" she sighed sitting next to me -sister-

she grabbed my hand and put it on her belly, feeling a slight nudge at the touch

"oh my heavens, you're pregnant" i whisper

she nodded and takes my hand away, but i put it back, feeling all around her stomach seeing how far she is.

"you cant say anything, its the guard that i was just talking to baby" she hushed and turned her head to see if anyone heard her.

we talked as we made our way to the kitchen, gloria said i could sit in the office with her until i get my job assignment.

i was sitting on the desk Gloria was working at playing with the paper clips she stashed.

When someone walked in, she was tall and black

She knocked on the gate and Gloria didn't even bother looking up

"Look we ain't accommodating no bullshit allergy request" she s

"Listen I'm just here to tell you that the habanero sauce last night at dinner was almost as good as la ricas" the woman said trying to flatter mama g.

"How you know la rica" Gloria looked at me then up at the woman

She scoffed "spiciest salsa in new york" the woman nodded as Gloria said "best salsa in new york"

The woman walked in and leant on the gate. I particularly didn't like the ego on this person, she was cocky and I didn't like cocky.

I zoned out playing with the paper clips, bending them out and then back in.

"I'm vee" the woman held out her hand to Gloria

Gloria shook her hand and said "Welcome to prison"

"Welcome back actually" she laughed then lifted the hem of her shirt up to show the top of a cigarette carton in her pant line.

This is where I cut in and introduced myself

"I'm vera" I put my hand out to which vee shook.

"Nice to meet you" she greeted.

Gloria then noticed the contraband hidden In vees pants

"I was just wondering if we could up make a trade" she said bringing them out and holding them flat to her stomach.

Gloria contemplated for a second then said "flip the top" to which vee did, it showed about 20 nicely rolled cigarettes.

I scoffed and looked at Gloria who was having a internal fight.