38

aleidas pov

i watched vera and daya chopping up come carrots at one of the make tables, gloria was standing next to me.

"what would you do if benny ended up in jail" i sighed turning to her, her eyebrows rose and she took a second to think of her reply " id beat his ass till hes bleeding from it, why?" she said looking down at the food in front of her.

"i feel like i fucked up, raising them you know" i said keeping my head bowed and smiling sadly. gloria lifted my head and made me look at her. the lines on her face deepening as a grin spread across her face "look that them" she instructed and i did what she said "what do you see" 

i thought for a second "my two girls" i said plainly, gloria scoffed to hid her laughter "yes, but what are they doing?"

"what is this supposed to do gloria" i sassed getting fed up at her avoidance of my statement "just answer the question aleida" she said.

"their smiling as they talk, mucking around" i say turning back to the woman "exactly, their smiling. theyre together, a family. if you fucked them up then why are they getting along, why do they love you, why did vera asked about you when the dorms got shut down in the floods, why was she bugging me as to where you sitting, why did she look for you. why did daya get so nervous to tell you about her pregnancy, because she didnt want to disappoint you. if you fucked them up so much, then why do they love you so much, i can see daya getting excited everyday as her baby grows inside of her, wanting to make you a grandmother. why does vera make sure mateo comes every week just so he can get quality time with you and daya. so he can have memories of grandma lada" she said softly, my eyes started to get watery.

"before these thoughts come into your head, take a second to see whats happening right in front of you" gloria said before walking away to boss around the other kitchen staff.

i took a moment to process her words, slowly smiling realising what she said.

i walk over to my two girls and stood behind them, i kiss dayas head and she turns to me, i do the same to vera. they both give me a confused face, i smile and say "i love you two"