42

it was a normal day in the kitchen until everyone started talking about the new job thats rumored to play $1 and hour which is the jackpot in here.

flaca and maria got into it because maria was making snarcky comments of the skills flaca has then flaca said something about pepa being taken away. 

they were getting into a fight, maritza was in the middle trying to restrain it all but i was just leaning back and watching. i new neither of them would hurt each other with gloria in her office.
they were shit scared of her. 

and i was right, because gloria came running out and breaking them up.

"you, go scrub some pans" she ordered flaca, who did it with protest then turned to maria to ask if she was okay.

i asked gloria if i could go check on her after maria stormed out. she told me it was okay, i knew maria needed some alone time so i went for a little walked down to white block to see red. 

i caught her looking at this new bright red lipstick in commissary the other day but she didnt have enough credit to buy it. so i brought it for her and i was going to give it to her.

"oh red" i say in a sing song voice, a lot of people looked at me weirdly but i brushed them off. reds head popped up from her bed, piper was doing some stupid stretches on the floor but i ignored her presences as i walked in an sat on reds bed.

"so i saw this the other day and i had to get if for you" i say presenting the present to her, her eyes lit up and i laughed "oh thank you my dear daughter" i smiled at her words and gave her a long hug. for the past couple of weeks red has been calling me her daughter, which i didnt mind because she treated me like a daughter. mami had heard her say it and kind of got the shits but i explained to her that she will always be my mami. she understood when i told her that it was a way of showing respect, that mami is my mami but red is a mother and gloria was a mom. 

"i just knew it would look good on you" i say pulling away from the hug and getting up to leave, i looked to piper and sneared at her then walked out of the cubicle, making sure to step on her hand that was splayed out. i giggled to myself when i hear her gasp of pain but i shot her wink before leaving the dorm block all together.

===

daya and i were in the visitation room talking to mamis boyfriend. she had asked him to look for bennet and now we were waiting for him to answer but instead he was making funny comments about how big daya had gotten.

"just get to it, did you find him" daya asked because she wasnt here for his bullshit "daya, that fucker hobbled away into the sunset, i got into his house. nothing left except some shitty clothes. found a mug in the sink that looked like a bomb, saved that for you" Cesar said with a proud face. i could see the disappointment on my sisters face. what bennet did was a dick move, and if i still knew jauns friends i wouldve gotten him to kill him, but they lost contact with me after the whole thing went down.

i closed my eyes and started thinking of my son. im so glad he didnt have a chance to know his father, im so glad he was so young when it all happened because i know some pretty fucked up people who witnessed some abusive stuff and now look at them, hooked on drugs and beating their own partners.

"even your loser father, stuck around till you were two" i came back to hear cesar speaking to daya. "the leaving is on him, not you girls" 

cesar was a bit of a cheating creep but he took care of us when our papi didnt. and even though he was all kinds of fucked up and he kicked me out when i turned 18, i still look to him as a dad. fuck, he was the one who got me that good ass lawyer who helped her get 11 years instead of 18.

"okay" daya said with teary eyes and a shakey breath, she looked to me "so my baby will go to manny, and when they come up for visitation with mateo theyll bring him" she calmed herself with that thought.