28

i was on the phone with manny, making sure theyre safe because a winter storm was coming.

"are you sure you all have enough winter clothes?" i say into the reciever. i hear manny laugh "you mean, are you sure mateos gonna be warm and the answer to that is yes" manny says

"boy shut up you know i care about you and sica too" i laugh

the voice of yessica could be heard in the background "oh shit, yessica just came back i got to help her unload the car, talk to you later yeah?" emanuel said waiting for my response "yeah, tell mateo i love him"

i hung up the phone and left the call area.

piper has been avoiding me, she would make someone else get her a tray of food when i was on serve and would always walk away when she would see me in the hall ways.

my guess is that maria whos got the biggest mouth of the family said something to one of the white girls that i knew she lied.

===

mami and i were playing cards that i borrowed off blanca when daya walked in.

"you got a minute" she asked walking into the bunk.

"what cant find your other mommy" mami remarked, i elbowed her in the ribs for her sudden rudeness.

"kidding" she said putting down her deck.

"what?" she asked as daya walked into the dorm further

"you should be walking on air, the way this shit turned out" mami laughed.

daya stood over mami as she spat "the way what shit turned out? there's a dude going to jail because of me"

"yeah but now you and stumpy can limp off into the sunset" mami said which caused me to snort.

"i cant even fucking look at him, and now everybody knows im pregnant. this is never going to work, im so fucking stupid" she started crying, i was going to get up and hug her, but mami beat me to it. i decided to sit back and let mami handle this because i know this will improve their relationship.

"hey its alright, its alright" mami whispered, turning her and helping her sit on the bed.

"a lot of people are stupid and still live full, productive lives, at least you know youre getting paid" mami said putting the hair out of dayas face

"paid?" i asked cutting in.

"oh jesus girl didnt i teach you nothing?" she said looking at me

"you get raped by a guard, you get to sue the government" she whispered

"plus even better, you get a baby" i added, putting my hands on dayas back and messaging is a little, i remember when i was pregnant my back nearly killed me

"which means child support, from creepy and extra money from limpy" mami said, i nod along

"im telling you this rape, is the best thing that ever happened to you, even if it didnt really happen" mami continued.

"what happens when the baby ends up with no daddy" daya sobs.

"hey look at me, youve seen mateo. he got no daddy but hes happy and soon he'll be even happier because hes gonna have a beautiful little cousin to grow up with" i say pulling her jaw to face me

she was crying less now but the red stains on her face were still there.

"you are going to love this baby so hard that they wont have to worry about having a daddy because youll do the loving for both" i spoke before kissing her cheek.

"you both were raised in a non-traditional setting and you guys turned out great" mami said reaching out and putting a hand on each of our cheeks.

"thanks ma" daya said.

"yeh sure, just remember me when them checks are coming in" what mami said made daya role her eyes.

i giggled at her antics.