34

when i came back to the family i noticed that lucy was missing.

"E go look for your sister" mami said to my little brother.

"whats happening?" i say squatting down with mateo in my hands, he was standing up with my help.

"the little ones gone" mami said not bothering.

i scoff knowing she couldnt be far.

daya and Christina went looking for her while mami and i sat down. i looked at her with a smirk she looked at me with an eyebrow quirked "you 43 years old and you a grandmother" i say trying to make her feel old, she rolled her eyes and pushed me over from where i was squatting, grabbing my baby before i fell on my ass.

"you 21 and a mother. i was older than you when i had daya" she sniffed mateo and passed him off to me. i grabbed a hand full of diapers for juliana, they had little micky and minnie mouses on them. i quickly changed him before laying down with him in my chest.

he was sleepy and his eyes fluttered shut, mami laid next to us and brushed his curls out of his face. one thing that juan did good was give my beautiful son his hair.

"you ever gonna tell me what really happened to mateos daddy" she said looking in my eyes, i had turned my head to the side to get the sun out of my eyes. my smile turned into a frown.

"mami" i sighed, she propped herself onto her shoulder.

"i know hes not just a one night stand, i raised you. you love and you love hard, your not the one night stand type of girl" she said putting her rough hand on my face wiping a single tear that rolled down my cheek, i wasnt aware i was crying. i hadnt cried since the day i got sentenced 

"his names juan, i met him when i left home, he was sweet and caring. let me stay at his and brought me gifts and shit, i thought he was a good guy and stuff. then one night he started to get aggressive, it was just pushing me around and stuff, bringing his buddies around and they got creepy. one night while mateo was asleep he brought his friends around, they wanted me to show some skin and i refused to, after they left he forced himself on me while i was washing up. and well i had enough so i turned and next thing i knew i was getting hauled off in a cop car, child services showed up and took mateo away. but luckily  yesica and manny showed up and took him" i explained in one big breath, mami sat there watching me, staying quiet.

"youre strong baby, if you didnt do what you did it only wouldve gotten worse, im proud that you stood up for yourself" my mother said kissing my nose.