21

mami and i were on hand out for lunch and tasytee, poussay and vee were talking about how piper got furlough. it was unfair, ive heard about all these stories about the women in the prison not getting furlough but no the blonde white girl gets it for her sick granny.

"if i got furlough, cesar and i would be fucking all damn day" mami said snapping the tonges at piper who was waiting in line for her food.

blanca chuckled and said "diablo and i would go all day and night" i laughed at their comments, piper looked at me for help but i just shrugged, poussays furlough got denied even though her mother was dead "sick abuela" i scoffed.

blanca laughed to herself at my comment as i watched piper walk away and sit with her group at one of the tables.

piper made this whole speech about how she was white but she was still a person and shit after cindy and poussay were giving her shit on getting furlough.

i watched the whole thing in amusement, i grabbed an extra piece of pie and walk over to suzanne, she looked at me then at the pie in my hand.

i passed it to her and as piper turned her back suzanne flung the food at her, hitting bulls eye at the back of her blonde hair.

i walked back into the kitchen to was my hands off not wanting it to stain purple. i see red and gloria talking.

i walk in addressing them both "hey red, hey gloria" i smile. gloria smiled back in a tight lipped fashion and red spoke to me in russian "privet" which meant hello

after that she walked out and i went to wash my hands.

===

everyone was in the kitchen making dinner for the prisoners when there was a knock on the chain fence dividing bench form bench. we all look up and see little mrs furlough 

"yes whitey?" my mother said as she chopped up vegetables, piper rolled her eyes at the comment then said "can i steal vera for a second" mami looks to me and i nod, putting down the potato peeler and walked around the bench meeting piper, she grabs my arm and she takes me to glorias office that was empty since gloria was in the main kitchen.

"yes piper" i say sitting on the chair as she stood in front of me.

"my grandmother died" she eyes grew glassy, i sighed and stood up. even thought she gets on my nerves i still feel bad for her and when i first got locked up she was there for me so why shouldnt i be there for her.

"oh pipes" i say wrapping my arms around her and she rest her head on my shoulder, she had to bend because of my height.

after crying for a little bit she calmed down and let go.

"thats not what i wanted to talk about but thank you" she said and i nodded, she sighed and said "anyway, im running and errand for red while im out but i was wondering if you want me to do anything for you" she said, putting a hand on my arm.

i think for a second, daya had been talking about how she was drawing her comics again for mateo, she gave me one to read to him for the next visit since todays one got cancelled since mateo was sick.

"yeah actually" i paused as i dig the comic from my shirt pocket "could you give this to my son, here ill write you the address, give him a big kiss for me ok?" i say turning and grabbing a pen from gloria cup on her desk. scribbling the address on the back i handed it to her.

she smiled and put it in her pocket. "sorry for not defending you earlier" i grimaced, i hate apologising. "no i get it, i understand the frustration" she nodded. i have her a hug and a kiss on the cheek before she left.

i walked back into the kitchen with the fattest smile on my face. "what did she want" flaca asked as she stirred the pot.

"well she asked me if i wanted her to check up on anything while she was on furlough" i say going back to my potatoes

"i gave her the comic daya to give to him" i smiled set a permanent place on my face as we got back to work