15

after visitation we go straight back to the kitchen, we past bennet on our way there, he winks at daya discretely. of course her face burns up and she gets all giggly. i remember when that was juan and I, it was well before the abuse.

the girls and i were icing the cookies we were making this morning, or should i say the girls were icing the cookies and i was sitting on the bench eating the icing.

"aye, how did i know you were going to do this" gloria laughed at me when she walked out from her office and into the kitchen. my lips were red from the food dye.

she took the spoon from my hand and ate some, "hey thats mine" i faked a frown, "ponte a trabajar nina" she spoke still laughing as i cleaned off the icing from around my mouth. (get to work, little girl)

maria who i was standing next to picked up the cookies that maritza cooked, touching the black on the dough. "look at this shit, youre lucky youre pretty y'know that, right" she said as the corner of her lips curled up. maritza shook it off and turned to flaca who was making a cookie for her man. "what does that one say" she asked.

"ian, in case he shows up today, its stupid" she mumbles the last part, chucking the food on the counter.

"bennetts here" i whisper to mami, making her look at the guilty looking man at the entrance.

we walk over, mami takes the garbage bag full of stuff he brought and i said  "im so glad were family now" i smirked then turned to go back to the food, taping Dayanara's shoulder and point to him.

he smiles weirdly and ushers her over.

"entonces tu tienes un bebe eh?" flaca says before scooping a bit of frosting into her mouth, i look to maria who puts her hands up "hey it wasnt me" i rolled my eyes knowing it was probably mami who was so excited to find out she was an abuela "haha yeah, hes my little boy" i smile as i put hearts on the cookies. (so, you have a baby huh)

"how old, maybe when we get out our little ones can have a play date" maritza gushed excited. i laughed at her little dance she did, "uh a year and half" i said moving onto the next cookie.

"aweee, hes only a few months younger than my little bebe" she smiled.

===

i met mami back at the bunk so she could give me my stuff that dayas little boyfriend got us.

"you smoke blues, man i thought i taught you better" she laughed as she stuffed them down her pants.

we went to the ghettos bathroom and lit one up sharing it between us two.

"oh how i have missed this" i say exhaling the smoke, mami snatched the smoke from my hand taking a long drag.

we hear foot steps coming so we swish the smoke away and stuff the cigarette down the drain. one of the COs step into the shower, her black skin was beautiful it went well with her hazel eyes, she sniffed and her eyes shot open "i wont tell if you share" she says, mami and i exchange glances before pulling out another smoke and the lighter.

we shared the smoke before it went out "not a word" she says before walking out leaving mami and i in understanding. 

"what the hell just happened" i say laughing. we walk out a minute later seeing as the same CO standing at the other side of the hall, i shoot her a wink and she laughs.