Prologue

My Dear Taehyung,

I expect that France is treating you well my dear. It has been 5 years since I last had a glimpse of my dear son. Mere form of communication are these letters. But now I cannot seem to find contentment in pouring my heart in the form of words to a paper.

This date marks five years of your father leaving us. I was aware right at the day when his soul departed this world that life will be going to turn tides on us. He left this enormous culpability on your young shoulders at the age of 20 years. You may or may not call it the curse of being a first born son.

Your love for pursuing art and painting was evident from your young age. I did not want your father's death to be a reason to hold you back from pursuing your dream.

I did not even coerce you to come back for the wedding of your sisters. I married them off on my own. I explained them and the others that you needed time.

My dear I have been left utterly alone after the wedding of your younger sister Jihun which took place last year. Eunha visits me with her twins once a month and Oh My Dear God they are adorable. When she leaves, this house becomes ghosted once again. Silence and coldness seem to devour the warmth and love me and your father had all those years.

When your father departed. You and I was left with no choice to be strong. We needed to be well fortified to carry on his responsibilities and take care of our home in which once love was bloomed.

I helped you carrying your duties when you were 20 years old. As soon as you finished your compulsory schooling at the age of 22, I made sure to help you surpassing all the hurdles that stood between you and your passion for art.

My dear love I have been acting as a reagent viscountess for 5 years now. The gossips and bad words are circulating around and the situation is worse than before. Our people assume that you have left us with no intentions of coming back.

When your great grandfather moved to this foreign land they had neither titles nor any lands. He earned it through his hard work and intellectual strategies. I know you have not forgotten your duty of carrying out the legacy of your forefathers. You and I are not alone we have our people that are dependent on your leadership and protection.

I am fully aware that your art degree is coming to an end this month. I shall grant you some more time to finish your business there and come back to your homeland and your people which is yearning for you.

In hopes of seeing you again my dear son.

Your loving mother,

Kim Somi.

August 23, 1824.