19. The Way Out

Its been a week since the viscount initiated renovation on Brandon lands. It was immensely hectic for him to supervise himself in order to ensure lowest cost. Although he had Mr. Lee at his disposal but he himself took the charge. Residents and farmers of Brandon lands, who had lost the hopes of seeing their lands fertile again, were now really thankful for the viscount for helping them. They thought that this land would be abandoned and they had to leave their houses. However, seeing their determined viscount their hopes were returned back.

Furthermore the young men were also working side by side as laborers without asking for wages. They wanted to play their part in order to show gratitude to their vicount.

"What do mean they are not accepting it?" Taehyung questioned Mark who was leader of the labor working on river banks.

"My lord, your subjects are really greatful to you. As you have taken initiative for them. They do not want wages for their working in order to accomplish the task in present budget." said Mark.

"Who told them about the budget situation?" Taehyung was furious.

"My lord the word travel fast here. It has been a year since the flooding and no representative of the crown came here to help us. People know that what you are doing here is on your account not on the crown's." Mark explained.

"I am greatful for their compensation Mark. However I do not want them to work for free. They have families to feed. I can not take advantage of their service. Please tell them to accept wages" Taehyung reasoned.

An old man came towards their way as those two were having conversations. Taehyung immediately recognized the old man. He was the same man Jungkook helped at his first time for tax collection.

"Aajushi greetings." Mark said.

Taehyung also nodded his head to acknowledge the presence of old man. "My Lord, May I offer you my greetings. How have you been?" old man said.

"I am fine Aajushi." Taehyung smiled.

"My lord shall we take a walk?" he asked and Taehyung nodded in confirmation as they started to walk far away from the river towards woods.

"May I ask the reason of blessing me with your presence?" Taehyung smiled.

Old man laughed loudly. "No my lord. Today was a fine day so I wanted to take a walk by river and saw you there. So, I thought might spend some time with the young viscount."

"Ahhh. My apologies and you can address me as Taehyung. "

"There is no reason to apologize Taehyung. All the time you are not the one who do something wrong. Sometimes it is society that demands absurd from you. They make it a standard practice and use it to make guilty the one who does not follow it." old man smiled.

"Pardon me I did not understand."

"Young boy you might understand right now. However, you will eventually. Some of us a born to fulfill the course of destiny. Others might not understand it. These people will owe you alot so, accept their decision for not taking wages." he smiled.

"I might be a wise man. But I am unable to decipher your words right now and it is making me anxious." Taehyung said.

"Your heart is not at peace Taehyung is it?" Old man asked.

Taehyung said looking at his palms. "It might not be."

"Young man do not deny it. Do not deny your heart for what it asks. Especially, when it is written. Your heart desires of the one who is kind. Who will bring peace to you eventually. It might not be near or now. However the day will come when you will find peace with him."