Chapter 39

Forgotten Juliet - Chapter 39

Bang!

“Do you know how much that thing is worth, and you let it escape!”

A man, unable to contain his anger, slammed his baton.

Crash!

With a loud noise, an empty cage shattered into pieces.

At this, the young creatures trapped in another cage in the basement cringed in fear, making sharp, frightened noises.

“Shut up if you don’t want to die!”

Bang!

The man with the baton kicked the cage. The young creatures inside huddled together and hid in a corner.

The man exploding in anger was named Viscount Caiman.

Viscount Caiman was the top leader of the Red Chariot Guild.

“…I apologize, Viscount. I have nothing to say in my defense.”

The man kneeling and bowing his head in front of him was named Baron Hilben.

Hilben worked under Viscount Caiman, and the vast basement they were standing in was a warehouse for storing the ‘goods’ of the Red Chariot.

The Red Chariot was a rapidly growing organization, with its primary source of income being illegal auctions and gambling.

Having swung his baton until he was out of breath, Viscount Caiman took a moment to compose himself.

“Hilben, how do you plan to compensate for this loss?”

“I will…somehow…”

“Even if we sell dozens of those, it won’t be enough! You get that?”

Caiman pointed his sharp baton at the young creatures.

Creatures like the rabbit-beings trapped in the cage were relatively docile and showed little wariness of humans, so it was easy to capture the young ones. In other words, they were not profitable.

Various races lived and thrived in the vast eastern forest.

Despite the strict prohibition of slave trade under imperial law, there were always idle rich people who would break the law, their desires inflamed even more by being told they couldn’t do it.

The Red Chariot capitalized on this niche market. They satisfied the vulgar desires of the rich and made a lot of money.

They violated the sacred forests where humans were forbidden to enter, captured the beings living there, and sold them at a high price.

When it comes to other races, the rarer and more difficult to acquire, the higher the price they fetched.

In the auction market, the most popular were undoubtedly the mermaids and werewolves.

But that popularity was like a mirage. Since the slave auction was banned, these two races had never once appeared on the market.

The mermaid island, where human ships couldn’t reach due to high waves, was one thing.

But the failure to capture the werewolves, who boldly claimed a vast forest in the middle of the East, was due to their much stronger power compared to humans.

Werewolves, or Lycanthropes as they were also known, were wolves.

It was nearly a miracle that Viscount Caiman almost got his hands on such a werewolf.