A Writer's Rant: I Feel Like My Literacy Stunted

Hey guys.

I'm going to be quite honest here. I feel like my skills as a writer and reader has immensely deteriorated since I've started posting my work here. I think it's only now that I've felt the full effects of it and it's been eating away at me for the past few weeks.

So I decided to vent it out all here. Just to let you know before you proceed, this chapter isn't going be particularly insightful or be any sort of commentary. At least that's not the point.

The point is, I feel literarily burned out and I need to vent out some negative feelings I've been harbouring for a while. Guess it's weird to share something like that but I mean, that's what venting is. I vent through writing, so if it's going to be written I might as well publish it in my rant book.

So again, I want to reiterate that most of what I say in this chapter is going to be emotionally charged. I feel like I started to have a lot of resentment towards modern "literature" and much of what I say will likely come off as jealous and vindictive.

It can't be helped. These are my feelings on the page and feelings can be very irrational. Just because I feel a certain way, it doesn't mean it's true. For example, just because I feel like only trashy books are being published today doesn't mean that it's actually happening irl. There's a fallacy that explains this, but I can't quite remember what it was called (not exactly confirmation bias, but it was the closest one I could find).

So please, take what I say with a grain of salt (pun intended).

But anyway, back to the topic that I want to talk about. I'm going to see if I can organize my thoughts here because writing them down helps me understand why I feel the way I feel. And maybe any writers could potentially relate to what I'm going through.

To put it very simply, I have started to feel angry and annoyed at the sort of books that became popular over the course of the past several years.

Yes, I'm talking about those trashy books about werewolves, vampires, billionaires, mafia, etc. You know the ones.

But it's not just the popular books on Wattpad. It's also the popular books outside. Like I try to refrain from bringing published books into this rant book because it's supposed to be focused on Wattpad, but I'm going to break that rule here.

I'm talking about the popular books people like to trash like Sarah J. Maas books and those shallow, tropes fantasy-romance books that her series spawned.

Like, I don't want to come off as "hating what's popular" but I can't help but feel resentful about the types of books that are. Because let's be real here, the only reason these types of books are popular is because it's porn on a page. 

Like it irks me so much how forgiving some readers are about how terrible a book is.

For example, going back to Wattpad, it annoys me so much when a book has terrible grammar, a nonsensical plot, and shitty, two-faced characters that compete for who can be the most despicable that still gets readers saying it's the best book they've ever read.

Like have these readers read an actual proper book? How is a book that has speilling mistaks liek thsi the BEST BOOK YOU'VE EVER READ?

Like, hello? Is this the only book you've ever read???

Why???

You know why?

Because it's about a doormat of a girl getting to have hot steamy sex with a hot alpha male (whether it be a werewolf or a billionaire).

Like I'm sorry if I'm being harsh here, but I feel like these popular books are so boring and, quite honestly, absolute low-effort trash. And yet they are still somehow heralded as the greatest gift to literature by horny readers.