Claiming Characters

Ugh.

So sorry I haven't been posting on here all that much, but I haven't been finding much that really peeves me. Until now, that is, which is obviously why I'm uploading a chapter.

Okay, so before we get started, I want to give a shout out to FluffgTuffy for giving me the first fanart I EVER received. Honestly, this is WAY overdue since you drew that a while ago, and I was going to do it on the previous chapter, but I thought it wasn't really appropriate since it focused more on YouTube rather than Wattpad.

Anyway, enough about that. If you want to check out the art, go to FluffgTuffy's profile and check out her artbook.

Now, on to the rant.

So, let me give you a bit of background information so you know what I'm talking about. Every so often, there are people who love a character in a book so much that they claim that character as their "bae," their "baby," their "bean," their "husband/wifey," or whatever else you call your favourite character.

This is often seen with really big fandoms, like saying some character in an anime is your husband, and your online persona is literally Mrs. (Anime character lastname).

Now, I don't have a problem with that. I think it's a little weird, but I also see how people appreciate characters by doing this roleplay-ish thing.

No. I'm perfectly fine with that. I have a problem with it when people start to confuse it with reality. Like, when people start attacking others because they "claimed" the character for themselves.

Since I'm not involved with fandoms much, I actually don't know if this happens all that often, and I don't think it does. Still, I have heard of instances when fans become so obsessed that they start thinking the game/movie/book/whatever is real.

Like, once I saw a video of this girl claiming either Sans from Undertale or Tord from Eddsworld. I honestly can't remember which of the two it was, but I think there's a fangirl who does the exact same thing for each of them. 

Anyway, she basically went off on a tantrum about how Sans/Tord is hers and how he feels offended by people shipping him with another character. Or something like that. Honestly, I don't remember that much, and I don't have the energy to go look for that video.

 Honestly, I don't remember that much, and I don't have the energy to go look for that video

⬆ (People)

I bet you're all wondering how any of this has to do with Wattpad. Well, believe it or not, but there are people who claim characters in Wattpad books. And most of the time it's harmless, like normal fandoms. Maybe just saying innocent things like "(Character name) is my baby!" or "Ah! My child!" or something hilarious like that.

But, there are people who get a little out of hand and makes reading the comments of any novel really annoying to read. (We all know the best bits about Wattpad books are the comments, lets be real.)