If You Wanna Know, Read to Find Out!

It's probably pretty obvious what I'm gonna be talking about here from the title.

Yup. It's the classic last line of a blurb: the "read to find out!" cliche.

Since this is pretty much self-explanatory, I'm going to keep this chapter short. No point in writing a whole 1000 word essay on why one line annoys me. Lol.

Now, this isn't to say that the line is a bad thing. In fact, some of you might not even agree with me and say it's not that bad of a hook to use. 

But, for me personally, "Read to find out!" just irks the hell out of me. Don't get me wrong. I get that a lot of writers, especially newbies, like to use that line because even some professional novels use it to draw in readers.

Still, I get so annoyed whenever I read that because it usually comes after a question that's so obvious, it might as well be rhetorical.

Let me show you:

__

Will Tessa and Tyler finally reach their goals, or will unexpected feelings throw a wrench to their plans?

Read their story to find out.

__

⬆️ (Ugh

⬆️ (Ugh. How obvious)

If it's a romance, the answer to the questions are way too predictable. I think that's also why I don't like reading romance (especially in Wattpad) that much. The stakes just aren't high enough, and you can see the outcomes from a mile away.

There are varieties of that line, too:

🔘 Follow their journey of love and friendship...

🔘 Read about the adventures of Tyler and Tessa!

🔘 Read and find out if they will end up together.

And etcetera etcetera.

The thing I don't like about those lines up there is that they're telling you what to do, and that doesn't really sit well with me. Like seriously, if I'm curious, I'm gonna open the book to read about the topic. Why do you feel the need to tell me that I have to read to know what will happen next?

I just don't think it's such a good hook. It basically tells you the obvious, which is kind of counter-productive since I don't want to read the book when I see that message at the bottom.

I mean, imagine if movies did this.

Watch ______ to find out if they survive or die!

Like, LOL! Seriously. That's hilarious. You don't see movie trailers telling potential watchers to frickin' watch the move to find out what happens next. Instead, it's advertised with "In cinemas near you," or "This summer," or the like. They want you to watch the movie, but they're not going to order you to go watch it like they own you. XD

Idk. It's just my personal thoughts. Don't mind me if you're going to use it anyway. ;D