Dragons, Elves, and Dwarves (E.g. Tolkien clones)

Fantasy. 

It's one of my favourite genres, but it's also one riddled with clichés and tropes done so many times before. Most of the time, it's a trope that's been popularized by a fantasy juggernaut like Tolkien, which then goes on to become a part of every single fantasy books that comes after it.

And so, I am here to list them out for you with a side of salt on the side because I'm tired of seeing the same concepts being done over and over again.

↑ (Let's get started!)

So, what should I start with?

↑ (Hmmm....)

Welp. Let's go with what's first on the list. Dragons.

Now, don't get me wrong. I like dragons as much as the next person (it's my Chinese zodiac :3), but I'm getting a little, just a little, bit tired of seeing them in every single fantasy book out there. 

I don't know what it is about dragons. Most notably, the thing I see everywhere I go on Wattpad's fantasy section is something to do with dragon riders.

Like, yeah, I get that dragons are really cool and awesome, but I'm just tired of seeing them being these super rare creatures that only the MC can communicate with. Or, they're super rare and owned only by a select few powerful nobles/sorcerers/whatever. Like, it's fantasy! Why do all dragons have to be the same? And where are all the other cool creatures like pegasuses (pegasii?), unicorns, manticores, and the like? They're cool too.

Also, what happened to all the different types of dragons? Why are all the dragons Western dragons, with four legs, two massive wings, and a long tail? What happened to Chinese dragons, where they don't even have wings? Or hybrids of different animals that were categorized as dragons that were prevalent in the Middle East?

Idk. I think it'd just be much more interesting to see different types of dragons if you're going to use them in your book. Like, give us a bit of their biology as well as different breeds instead of making them the same old scaly golden/blue/reptilian creature that breathes fire. Like, maybe in a world filled with dragons, there are tiny dragons that act as dogs/cats and large dragons that act like horses.