Chapter Two*

Kefira hopped up and down trying to get a glimpse at the letter her parents were reviewing, but her father was just too tall. She grumbled and crossed her arms, wondering why she couldn't read her own letter, knowing she was fully capable of reading.

She twisted her face in irritation and looked at the man that was invited into her home. He peered down at her and the two stared at each other for a moment.

"You still didn't tell me your name." she said.

"I am Professor Sn-"

"Your first name is Professor?" Kefira laughed.

Cardel lowered his hand and placed it on top of Kefira's head. "Sorry," he apologized to the man, " she tends to have a warped sense of humor. Let the man finish speaking, Kefi."

"My first name is Severus." the man told Kefira, his voice low and monotone. "Severus Snape, but I am a professor, so out of respect I am to be called Professor-"

It seemed the girl lost interest as he spoke and looked up to her father trying to reach for the letter.

"Can't I read my letter?!" she whined.

Alana looked at Severus who's jaw was clenched tightly.

"Kefi, where are your manners?"

"Speaking of manners, shouldn't I be reading my own mail?" Kefira countered her mother. "The envelope was addressed to me after all."

Cardel lowered the letter to Kefira who grabbed it quickly. Her eyes scanning over the words, hungry for the information.

HOGWARTS SCHOOL of WITCHCRAFT and WIZARDRY

Headmaster: Albus Dumbledore

(Order of Merlin, First Class, Grand Sorc., Chf. Warlock,

Supreme Mugwump, International Confed. of Wizards)

Kefira's eyebrows knitted together in confusion.

Hogwarts?

Witchcraft?

Wizardry?

"What's a Supreme Mugwump?" she asked out loud. No one gave her an answer so she continued reading.

Dear Ms. Walsh,

We are pleased to inform you that you have been accepted at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Please find enclosed a list of all necessary books and equipment.Term begins on 1 September.

Yours sincerely,

Minerva McGonagall

Deputy Headmistress

Kefira lowered the letter and turned to her parents. Cardel was looking at Professor Severus Snape.

"I suppose it's safe to say that this isn't some sort of joke, is it?" he asked the man.

"No, this is no joke. Kefira is a muggle-born witch."

"What did you call me?!"

Cardel lifted his daughter over his shoulder and asked the man to sit down. There was a lot that the family needed to go over, apparently.

As her sisters, listened on the stairwell, Kefira was tucked in between her parents as Severus explained how muggle-born witches and wizards came to be.

The term muggle bothered Kefira, not because it sounded like a bad word but by the way Severus said it as if the word left a bad taste in her mouth. He also seemed set on using the term muggle-born whenever describing her as a witch which irritated her more.

"What others kind of witches and wizards are there?" she interrupted him.

Severus looked down at her. "I beg your pardon?"

"I said what other kinds of witches and wizards are there since you feel the need to remind us every other sentence that I'm a muggle-born."

His lip curled in a slight sneer at the girl and her big mouth that didn't seem to have a filter. But she didn't seem at all intimidated by him.

However, her parents interjected and sent her out of the room.

"But-" she went to protest but her father gave her a look, one she did not dare argue with.

Heading up the stairs, Kefira found her sisters attempting to eavesdrop on the conversation.

"A witch, Kefi?" Rosemary said in disbelief.

"Don't look at me! I didn't know!"

"How does that even work?"Nellie asked her. "Mum and Dad don't have magic."

"You're asking the wrong person, that man down there hasn't said much of anything except throwing around the world muggle every chance he gets."

"What's a muggle?" Lottie asked.

Leaving to her room, Kefira launched herself onto her bed and stared at her headboard for a few minutes in silence.

She was a witch, according to Severus and she was to attend a school that would teach her the ways of magic. The idea seemed far-fetched and if Kefira had anything to say about it, completely insane.

What puzzled her the most was how accepting her parents were of the idea. She would have thought, her father would grab the man by his robes and personally see him out the door. Or that her mother would have a hearty laugh before threatening to attack him with a kitchen utensil unless he left.

Instead, they nodded their heads and listened to every word the man had to say.

A half hour later, there was a knock on the door, before she could invite whoever in, her mother allowed herself in.

"Kefira, I don't know what has gotten into you today with your behavior, you were awfully rude."

Kefira gave her mother a bizarre look not bothering to argue.

"That being said, I want you to get your shoes on."

"Why-"

"And when you go downstairs I want you to apologize for your lack of manners-"

"But-"

"This is final, no negotiating."

"What if I offered you-"

"No money is going to get you out of this, Kefi. Shoes on and get ready to leave."

"Leave...where am I going?! It's my birthday and-"

"Professor Snape has kindly agreed to take you shopping for your school supplies and your father and I cannot help you there dear."

"WHAT?!" Kefira stood up on her bed. "Mum, you can't just let me leave out of here with him?"

"Why not?"

"The man is a complete and total stranger."

"Dear, he is a professor at the school you will be attending. Apparently, he is the potions master."

"Well...I'm not going anywhere with him!" she said stubbornly. She folded her arms and sat criss-cross on her bed. "I'm staying right here."