Chapter Seventy Four

Neville thought he was going to faint as Kefira's eyes met his.

"What?"

"I meant...well...I think that you're...I mean I think that the professors think well maybe not in that way..but..."

Kefira just stared at him, as he continued to fumble with his words only confusing her further and further.

"Neville, breathe!"

Neville paused and took a deep breath but didn't exhale.

"Okay now exhale before you turn blue here." she said.

He exhaled loudly. He continued to take several deep breaths as Kefira instructed him along as if he was a woman in labor. Finally, he calmed himself down.

"Better?" she asked him.

"Yes, thank you." he swallowed, quite embarrassed that he had launched himself in a near panic attack. "I'm sorry..." he began.

"Oh Nevs." she smiled at him. "How many times do I have to tell you that you have nothing to be sorry for?"

She reached across the table and patted him hand.

He smiled as his body began to relax.

"By the way..." Kefira said. "I think you're pretty handsome yourself." She gave him a wink before focusing on something to eat in the Great Hall for lunch leaving Neville stunned in his seat.

Since the awkward encounter at the table, Kefira couldn't seem to get a hold of Neville, at least alone. Whenever she found him, he was either with Dean, Seamus or the both of them. Whenever they hung out, it was in a group of people, and Neville didn't have very much to say to Kefira over the next couple of weeks, which confused her greatly.

She tried to think back to a time to think if she had said something offensive but nothing came to mind.

When she asked Seamus and Dean, they didn't say anything valuable and only continued to smile at her in a teasing manner.

Kefira was just all sorts of confused and didn't know where else to turn, so when she found herself in a detention with Professor Snape for walking down the halls barefoot again, she decided to take the opportunity to ask him.

"Professor Snape?" she called out to the man after he assigned her the Volubilis Potion.

"No talking." Professor Snape replied.

Kefira made a face as she looked down the cauldron.

"But it's important." she said.

"Is it life threatening?" he asked.

"No."

"Does it have to do with potions?"

"No."

"Then it's not important."

"You're supposed to be helpful...a mentor if you will. You're a professor, are you not?"

"I am the potions master, not one of your friends to gossip about rubbish with."

"Hey! We do not gossip and we certainly don't talk about rubbish!" Kefira said placing her hands on her hips.

Professor Snape pointed to the cauldron. "Work. Or you'll be here all night."

"I can work and talk at the same time, you know?"

"I prefer if you focused on one at a time, considering your attention span is easily depleted, I suggest focusing what little you have on working."

Kefira crossed her arms and sat down. "Me being here all night means you have to be here all night and I'm not working until you hear me out!"

"This is detention, Miss Walsh you do not call the shots in this classroom. You are to do what you're told. If you actually listened you wouldn't find yourself in detention all the time."

"Maybe it's not me who has the problem!"

"Excuse you?" Professor Snape's glare was deadly.

"I was walking around barefoot, I wasn't hurting anybody by doing so."

"It's unsanitary."

"They're my feet!"

"But the floors do not belong to you and are used by everyone."

"Well, it's not like people are eating off the floors!"

"I am not arguing with you about this-"

"If you answer my question, then I'll be quiet."

"Oh I know that's not true." 

"What's up with you and Kefira?" Dean asked directly as he sat in boy's dorm with Neville one evening.

"What do you mean?" Neville peered up at him from where he sat on his bed.

"I mean, you two are always hanging out together, but lately you guys are only together if the group is hanging out, what gives? Are you mad at her?"

"No." Neville said. "Not at all. I just.."

"What?"

"He's in love with her." Seamus chortled from his bed as he tossed a small hacky sack up into the air.

Dean's eyes widened and Neville immediately shook his head.

"N-no that's not true!" Neville said.

"Oh yes it is!" Seamus sang. "Look how red you're turning!"

"No..no..it's not that." Neville told him. "I don't know how to explain it though."

Dean seemed less set on teasing and more on understanding what Neville was trying to say.

"What is it?"

"Well, I just feel different around her now, that's all."

"How so?"

"My stomach...I almost feel sick and I don't want to get sick around her."

Dean smiled while Seamus sat up in his bed.

"See? I told you, didn't I?"

XxAsTaRsObRiGhTxX strikes again with yet another lovely piece of art!

Thank you so much!