Chapter Forty Five

The entire school was whispering among themselves over the event that had taken place the previous night. Apparently, someone had taken it upon themselves to write " The Chamber of Secrets has been open..enemies of the heir ....beware." And Filch's cat had become a victim as Mrs. Norris had been petrified. However, none of it really made sense to Kefira, she had no knowledge of the Chamber of Secrets and she really didn't understand what it meant to be petrified. It was all rather confusing, but she didn't want to say anything to her parents in fear that they would immediately pull her right out of school.

Fortunately, for her, Transfiguration class seemed to be the place to get her answers. They were learning how to transform animals into water goblets, although Kefira was unsure as to why that was useful in any circumstances. But she didn't question it. Instead Hermione's hand shot up during the lesson.

"Yes, Miss Granger?" Professor McGonagall turned her attention away from Ron, who's wand needed serious repairs or a permanent replacement.

"I was wondering if you could tell us about.... the chamber of secrets?"

"Well, very well. Well, you all know, of course, that Hogwarts was founded over a thousand years ago by the four greatest witches and wizards of the age: Godric Gryffindor, Helga Hufflepuff, Rowena Ravenclaw, and Salazar Slytherin. Now, three of the founders coexisted quite harmoniously. One did not. " Professor McGonagall began to explain immediately grabbing Kefira's attention.

"Salazar Slytherin wished to be more selective about the students admitted to Hogwarts. He believed magical learning should be kept within all-magic families. In other words, "pure-bloods." Unable to sway the others, he decided to leave the school. Now, according to legend, Slytherin had built a hidden chamber in this castle, known as the Chamber of Secrets. Though, shortly before departing, he sealed it until that time when his own true heir returned to the school. The heir alone would be able to open theChamber and unleash the horror within, and by so doing purge the school of all those who, in Slytherin's view, were unworthy to study magic. "

"Muggle-borns." Hermione said and instantly Kefira frowned.

Neville glanced over at Kefira who shook her head, obviously upset with the idea that muggle-borns were the targets.

"It's okay, Kefi." he told her, even though he had to admit the story had even frightened him.

"Well, naturally, the school had been searched many times. No such chamber has been found." McGonagall quickly reassured the students.

" Professor?" Hermione continued. " What exactly does legend tell us lies within the Chamber?"

" Well, the Chamber is said to home to something that only the Heir of Slytherin can control. It is said to be the home of a monster. "

Kefira left the classroom fuming with her fists clenched down by her side as Neville, Faye, Dean and Seamus struggled to keep up with her.

"I think maybe we should just leave her alone." Faye said to the boys. "She seems awfully upset and I don't want to be on the other end of one of her swings."

"Agreed." Seamus came to a halt in the hallway grabbing Dean by the back of his robes.

Neville stopped and turned to face them. "But she's upset, we should see if she's okay."

"She'll be fine Neville, no one is going to mess with her. It's Kefira we're talking about here." Dean said.

"She's our friend, and if one of us were upset she would stay by our sides." Neville argued. 

"Yes, but none of us have Kefira's temper." Seamus argued.

"Well, I'm not going to just let her be upset and alone." Neville told them as he left down the hall. However, Kefira was nowhere in sight.

He sighed. "I guess I'm going to have to find her first."

Kefira sat down in one of the window seats of an empty hall, trying to calm herself down. She didn't understand the prejudice against muggle-borns. They were all capable of doing the same thing. If she looked at Hermione who was a muggle-born as well, she was far more capable than the pure-bloods at the school, so what was the big deal?

She heard snickering and glanced up to see Draco and his minions. She instantly rolled her eyes as she noticed they were looking at her.

"Do me a favor Draco, hold your breath and don't exhale until you count to a thousand." she snarled at him.

"But that would kill him." Goyle pointed out.

She clapped her hands slowly. "Good job."

"I think someone's just upset because they are an enemy of the heir. Beware... you or Granger might be next ones attacked." Draco cackled at her.

"The only one about to get attacked here is you." she said standing up and getting into his face. "Now go away!"

She tried to walk away, but the three blocked her.

"Or what?" Draco challenged.

"You should know the answer to that. But I'll be happy enough to give you a reminder."

Neville rounded the corner only to see Kefira standing before Draco, Goyle and Crabbe.

"Oh no.' he muttered under his breath as he quickly ran over.

"Oh look, Longbottom's come to save you." Draco laughed at Kefira. "How sweet."

Kefira turned to Neville who looked to the three boys and then her with a worried glance.

"It's okay, Neville I can manage..."

"Kefi..." he needed her to be reasonable, he knew she was tough, but against three boys she didn't stand a fair chance.

Suddenly, something bumped against Neville's foot and he quickly recognized it. He grabbed Kefira by the robes and pulled her out of the way.

Just in time for the dungbomb to go off.

Draco and the other two were hit with a putrid smell causing them to yell and gag as they dispersed.

Kefira turned to Neville in shock. "Did you-"

The boy quickly shook his head as they hid around the corner.

"One dungbomb at your service."

The two spun around to see Fred and George. Instantly, all three red heads exchanged smiles.

"Nice!" Kefira gave the two high fives.

"We're glad we could help, now lets get out of here. Filch is in a way worse mood than usual, and we don't want to get caught, do we?" Fred said as they took off down the hall.

"Come on Neville." Kefira laughed grabbing his hand and pulling him along.