Chapter Fifty

The group was worried about Kefira but they were also worried about Neville. The boy hadn't said much since Kefira had been attacked. Everyday,  he would visit the Hospital Wing, only to have Madam Pomfrey tell him that Kefira wouldn't be better until the mandrakes were of age. Neville was miserable without his best friend, normally she would say or do something silly to get him to laugh or smile throughout the day, but classes were so dismal without her energy.

He sat in the common room in between classes, and hardly ate anything. Dean and Seamus tried to cheer him up, Seamus handed him a couple of chocolate frogs, but Neville never really took interest in collecting the cards. However, he knew Seamus and Dean wouldn't leave him alone unless he humored them.

He watched the boys sorted through their cards, setting aside their duplicates and discussing what cards they were willing to trade. Neville had no interest in the cards, until one caught his eye. It was the card of Godric Gryffindor. Moving closer to the table he picked up the collectible card, and glanced over one of the famous founders of the school.

Seamus and Dean looked over at him.

"You alright Neville?"

"Yeah, I'm alright." he said before placing the card down. "Just found it funny is all."

"What? What's funny?" Dean asked.

"Well, it's just Godric had red hair and green eyes...and then Kefira has the same thing."

Dean smiled. "Yeah, Godric's hair looks just as poofy too."

Seamus glanced over the card. " They kinda resemble each other actually.... so we got the heir of Slytherin running around the school, who's to say we don't have the heir of Gryffindor?"

"No offense, I know Kefira hates the term, but she's a muggle-born isn't she?" Dean said. "How could she possibly be a descendant of Godric Gryffindor?"

"It's possible." Neville said. "Muggle-borns inherit their magic from a distant ancestor. Magic can be lost for generations and pop up at any time."

"I was joking about the hair stuff, but do you two honestly believe Kefi is Godric's great great great great something?" Dean replied.

Seamus turned to his best friend. "Godric was known for his bravery."

"Right."

 "Have you met Kefi?"

Severus sat at his desk after finishing failing several papers that didn't meet his standards. The classroom was quiet, leaving him alone with his thoughts. He looked up to the empty table before his desk, the one usually occupied by the little loud red head that insisted on bothering him.

Unfortunately, he had sent the girl's parents the letter to tell them about the incident, and just as expected, the Walsh family was hell bent on getting the girl home. They wanted Kefira home and far away from the school. But Severus knew it would solve anything keeping the child at home, the school would be the only place where she would learn to control her magic.

Over the last couple of months, she had drastically improved with her magic as well. 

Especially in Potions.

It was quite different not having her in his classes as well, it was much quieter that was for sure.

After several minutes of sitting in pure silence of the room, Severus opened up one of the drawers of his desk and pulled out a book. He placed it in front of him and opened it up to the first page. He read over the first line.

What lies at the bottom of the sea and twitches?

Severus sighed.

A nervous wreck.

The man pinched the bridge of his nose and pushed the book away from him. The jokes in the book were horrible, but a few minutes later he found himself reading the next one and the next one.

"Find yourself a good read?" 

Severus looked up and saw Dumbledore walking into the room. He put the book back in the drawer and straightened himself.

"Is there something you need?" Severus asked the headmaster.

"Oh no, I was just taking a stroll through the halls this evening."

"Do you think that's wise?"

"Well there is something roaming the halls, perhaps I will encounter it and get to the bottom of all this."

Severus remained silent.

"You know what I find most peculiar about the recent attack?" Dumbledore said.

"What is that?"

"The fact that Miss Walsh, didn't appear frightened. Only confused."

"What do you suppose it means?"

"It could mean that she was very brave not to be afraid of whatever lurks in the Chamber of Secrets. Or something about the situation left her completely puzzled."

Severus  stared down at his desk. "We won't find out until she wakes up."

"I'm assuming her parents did not take to the news well."

"They want to withdraw her from the school."

"I see." Dumbledore said stroking his beard for a couple of seconds. "Well, we can't have that can we? It would mean you would lose your best potions student."

Before Severus could say anything else, Dumbledore left the room.