Chapter 17: Masked

A few more minutes passed and I couldn't help but peak up the stairs of the secret passage way, no one was coming. What was taking so long?

   I turned to go back to the closed off room with the children but someone bashed a candle holder in my face I felt shards of grass scratch at my horns and I howled in pain. I didnt even take in my enemy I summoned my fire and rammed my flaming hand against their chest, only nothing happed. It was like a thin mist coated over their body, my magic just bouncing off of my attacker. "What the hell?"

   I looked into the young mans eyes as he grinned wickedly, "I'm charmed by the creator herself, your magic doesn't work on me."

   I didnt know what that meant but I wasn't about to look stupid, "Maybe this will," I drew my sword out and raised it above my head ready to drive it through his chest.

   "Nadia no!"

   I whipped my head up to Gregory and Orion, tightening my grip on the young mans throat to keep him in place, "He tried to kill me," I groaned.

   "He's a incubus," Orions eyes glazed over with excitement or was it recognition?

   "More then that," my attacker shrugged me off. "I'm your progeny, everything you know I know." My heap spun a bit, did he just say progeny?

   "Marcus?" Orions eyes widened, "This isn't Lorelei it's hard to explain just trust me.... I almost didn't recognize you with the long hair," a smile spreads out on Orion's thin lips.

   "Your telling me you know each other?" Gregory scratched his head.

   Orion met my wild gaze I was two seconds from losing my temper and he knew it, "Lorelei was in search of a creator in case she was to ever need a replacement and Marcus was it. She raised him from birth she was practically his mother." Lorelei's successor was an incubus? A man that feeds on sex?

   "She wasn't my mother," Marcus said bitterly.

   "Sounds like an interesting story but I'm not Lorelei so whatever hatred you have for her leave me out of it," I met the young mans beady brown eyes sweat covering his melanin skin.

   "Then who are you?"

   "Nadia." How many enemies did Lorelei have? Hopefully this wouldn't be a recurring thing I had enough problems to deal with.

   "Why do you look like her?"

   "We really dont have time for this," Gregory interrupted, my thoughts exactly.

   "Do you live here?" I asked Marcus he nodded. His black cape covering half of his face but I caught the yellow in in his brown eyes shine from the torches. "Great your coming with us we need to know everything about Delphia." I'll decide if he was trustworthy or not. Seemed like a decent enough guy besides the whole trying to kill me part.

   He didnt argue as he was the first to head upstairs. "Bring the kids the halls are safe and guarded with Ashs guards," Orion told me. "The others locked up will be transferred to court tomorrow to make their cases."

   I gathered the children, Kendrick close by my side clutching the dagger I gave him with his life. "Why is the king killing us?"

     "Rone would never-"

   "Charles," he shuttered.

   "Charles is no king," I said coldly. "Your king is Rone and when you meet him you will know you are in careful hands. What Charles has done to your people is inexcusable to the court and he will most likely hang for even claiming himself as a King."