Chapter 20: Mate

"You did not bring me to a mating party," I clutched the bust of my dress, my breasts practically spilling out. I should have worn less revieling clothes.... No wonder Rone wouldn't be here, a king cannot be seen at such parties and neither should I. "I can't be seen here," I hissed hiding behind Ash's navy cloak. He seemed to be enjoying my mortification.

A mating party is where a bunch of lonely people drown out their sorrows in sultry dances and wine. When population is decreasing these parties always did the trick. I glanced at the five tents streamed with mesh red fabric, mating tents for any "lucky" couples that find each other tonight. I never believed in the whole mate concept and nor did most Fae these days but they still found a reason for their dirty pleasures. "You aren't engaged with anyone," Gregory shrugged nonchalantly. "Oh look there's Scarlette."

I was even more shocked that she was here. She looked odd in her fancy blush pink skirts and tight white corset. She looked too much of a nieve girl but her feline eyes said pro in seduction. "How have you two been?" I asked Ash curiously as he folded his hands infront of him and inspected the crowd.

"She's lovely," he responded vaguely. His grey eyes seemed to be lined with worry tonight.

"Do you love her?" I looked up at him waiting for his reaction.

Ash almost chocked on his own tongue giving me an off look, "I've known her for maybe four days."

"Sometimes you just know," I shrugged taking a flute from a waiter and gulping it down.

"I so wish you didn't just do that," Gregorys dark brown eyes widened.

The wine was a bit more sweet than normal it gave me a sudden need... I wanted more I actually needed more. Was that strawberry I tasted? "Why?" Ash asked sipping on his own.

"That's Spiced wine, one glass and you're in a party haze for hours. Its what our ancestors used to clear ones mind, to find their mate." That did not sound good Ash and I shared panicked looks.

"I am a creator, that little flute of magical liquid will do nothing to me," I crossed my arms. "I believe you have work to do," I cocked my head. Where even was Nixin?

"Ash is it?" speaking of the devil. Nixin wore a hideous green short dress, her blonde hair floating around her shoulders. "Do you mind if I steal you for a bit?" She bit her lip and batted her eyes up at Ash. I look at him for his reaction but he gave off nothing. "That is if you dont mind?"

"Of course not," I gave her a tense smile.

"Great," she casually trapped her arm through Ashs and they walked off into the crowd, her green and gold trimmed dress flowing behind her.

"I did not see that coming," I murmured.

"Nixin seems like the type to go after what she wants," Gregory tilted his head. "Ash is extremely boring I think she chose wrong if you ask me," I wished he didnt sound so upset about it. Sure she was pretty and nice to everyone but was she really that nice?

"Were you looking forward to seducing her?" I hissed swatting him in the arm.

He gave me a boyish grin,"Say what you want but Nixin is a beaut. Now are you sure you're feeling okay?"

I felt a bit hot but that was it, "I actually want to dance," I said feeling the melody of the music fill my ears and cover me whole. Scarlet came over, her thin brows set in concern.

"What is Ash doing with Nixin?" Oh boy.

"She wanted to have a chat with him."

"At a mating party?" She sucked down a flute, "I thought he liked me," her bottom lip puckered out a bit, I could use another one of those drinks...