Chapter 19: A Sirens Song

Seeing my mother and little brother Simon brought a light back in me that had faded. Just talking to Simon, sitting in our small shack talking town gossip was everything I wanted. The smell of my moms cooking, the sound of the broken door creek when someone entered brought a certain comfort.

"Nadia there is a man at the door for you," my mother said whipping her wet hands on her brown apron giving me a hopeful look.

I frowned, I wasn't expecting anyone tonight a part of me hoped it was Rone. When I found that it was Ash I couldn't help but seal my disappointment, "Expecting someone else?" Ash rose a brow. Dragons didnt have any abilities in their human form but I swore ash could read my mind.

"Not at this hour, what are you doing here?"

"You're missing the party," he shifted and thats when I noticed ash was a bit dressed up then usual. He wore a silk black shirt that was unbuttoned at the top and it fit him perfectly he even paired it with a grey vest that matched the color of his face. Surprisingly his hair for once was slicked back instead of its normal wavy mess. "Gregory sent me to get you. Rone has let Nixin and her ladies throw a party in the gardens, we thought you'd want to take a look."

"What do you mean?"

He handed me a lace black mask, "Its not what you'd expect," a smile played on his lips.

"Will Rone be there?"

"No but if you have any hopes in getting Nixin to get cozy with Gregory tonight then you need to be there."

"Why?"

"She holds a certain hatred for you, the only way she'll even bite at Gregorys bate is if your'e there so she can tease you. She has been asking around about you and seems very interested in your relationship with Gregory.

"Does she?" I gulped. I was Nixins bate? What did I ever do to her? Why did it seeme everywhere I turned someone either wanted to kill me? Or take the man I love? History and fate is most definitely unkind.

"Does that make you jealous?" Ash questioned leaning against the frame of the door.

"What? Of course not... Gregory is my friend." It could be worse I guess...

"Nixin doesn't seem to think so, I ran into her on my way here she kept asking me questions about Gregory. Most likely to see if she has anything to worry about, dont worry I didn't tell her he's your spy."

"He's my right hand," I straightened up.

"Oh I know. He couldn't wait to boost about it," the thought was actually warming to me. "You have an hour to get ready."

"Will Berella be there?"

"This is not a party for Berella."

"What are you not telling me?"

"Are you going to let me in or make me wait outside?"

"Its not cold out," I eyed him, hugging the door closer to me.

"Nadia stop teasing the poor man and let him in," my mother chastened me from behind. She even butted me out of the way and opened the door wide, batting her thick lashes up as Ash. "I'm so sorry Nadia must have lost her manners."

"I don't think she's ever had any," Ash said glaring at me. Having him inside felt weird, he took up so much space, his head almost touching the ceiling.

"Alright then, I guess you're in good company while I get dressed," I sighed.

I walked to Simons small room and pulled out a simple black silk dress. The straps were thin and the fabric hugged every curve, flowing out to the ground from my hips. The cut of the dress was lower then most people living in court would wear but I had a certain love for all kinds of fashions. This I had brought from dragons mountain. I let my hair down from my braid and brushed it out letting my dark wavy hair flow around my waist And my horns stand tall for the night. I took a quick look inn the mirror, the hollows of my cheeks were more carved, my skin no longer really glowed gold but more of a ash shine so dull... What I couldn't stand were how lost my eyes looked I stared back at myself and I didn't know what to think at the mess that was so clearly painted on. I have lost too much weight, my hair has thinned out and I no longer held any warmth in my gaze.