Chapter 39: Send my love

I woke up feeling brand new as if I didn't get stabbed last night. Even though Ash said he could finish the last test with the group so I could be with Berella, I decided I wanted to be there. Thankfully Berella was excited to see what Ash and I have been up to and not just work wise...

   "Something tells me the two of you will find each other one way or another, look at the way he looks at you," Berella pointed out to Ash who was dazed off watching me. Once I met his eyes he averted and helped the girls get comfortable on their cot as he laid the crystal on both of their chests.

   All we had to do now was wait for my last four to fall asleep, it might take minutes for one or an hour for the other. It didnt matter as long as they could make it out on their own and something told me I already knew who would make it and who wouldn't.

   I brought Arisella out as she was starting to get restless patrolling the dark woods with Orion and a few Elves he had gathered to start training with the fae from Trax. Gladly we havn't seen a dark witch try to enter, no kids have gone missing... we almost felt safe which was a dangerous thing because we still knew nothing. "How do you even get to know someone when they have decades of time you'll never know about."

   "Maybe those decades dont matter."

   "They matter," I said looking over to Berellla. I missed just talking to her and I was great full that we'd be able to do a lot more talking tonight. Gregory apparently promised Simon he'd take him out to the spring for his birthday and of course Ash leant all the help we could need. "So what do you think?"

   "Kane will make it, I dont know about either girls," she said trying to think her pale face in a bit of a frown. "Nazar I dont know about either they're all so plain and vague. I know I don't like Balthazar," her green wings crinkled a bit as she said his name.

   I sat on the ground beside Kane and laid my hand on his temple, "I think you're right,"I said soaking up every bit of his world. A lifetime where Marvis the elf king reigned and tormented the lands around him. "He lost his entire family and wife in a fire that Marvis set on his town, that night only a couple hundred out of 8,000 survived and it was because of Kane. Even though his family burnt to crisps he still helped those around him." Berella has always been the softer one I could see her heart break as she watched Kane.

   "That's why he's so closed off then? He's scared to lose the people he loves."

   "A noble fear," Ash spoke up.

   "Of course you would say that."

   "You dont agree?" He raised a brow.

   "You look tired and worn," I said bitterly. "Maybe its best you rest instead of breathing down my neck," I didn't mean to come off rude but I was upset.

   "Things sure got cold fast," Blade said shoving his hands in his trousers making Berella snicker a bit.

   I decided not to respond as I went back to Kane, feeling every tear that slid down on his scarred face as he watched the hut burn over and over, trying to save them again and again. But the point was that he couldn't, that he had to let go and I willed him to do so.

   He heard me and paused his face full of confusion, "I cant live without them," he mumbled.

   "But you have and you will," I coaxed him carefully. "You are here for a long time why not fill that time with something good. You like to help people Kane, just like me and I need people like that. Valkri needs people like that," I corrected myself. "You can help me make this place safe and ensure Marvis or anyone will ever hurt the people we love. You can make a real change."