Life Saver (Laurent)

Reader Point of View

"A very unique and interesting style, I've never seen one quite like it." I jumped. "Uhh... Thank you...?" I turned around to see none other than my childhood best friend, Laurent. "Oh, hey Laurent." I said. "Hello, (y/n). Am I interrupting something?" He asked. I shook my head. "No, I'm just practicing." I replied. "Would you like to join me?" He smiled. "Of course. The way you battle fascinates me. I would love to be able to analyze it." He said. "Uhh... Ok...? Anyway, let's get to it!" I replied, picking up my spell tomes. By the way, I'm a Dark Mage. My parents are Henry and Olivia, and my brother is Inigo. So yes, I'm a child from the future. Anyway, Laurent and I started practicing, his magic against my dark magic.

That's when it happened. Laurent and I were to caught up in our practice, we never realized that the camp was under attack. "(Y/n)!! Watch out!!" Was the last thing I heard, before I woke up, my head hurting badly. I was staring at the top of the tent and felt a wet cloth on my head. "Ngh... What h-happened...?" I mumbled. "She's awake!" I heard a girl say. I tried to sit up, but felt someone put their hand on my shoulder. "Easy... You should stay still..." A boy said. I recognized the voices as Mother and Father. "M-mother...? Father...?" "Hey! Don't forget about me!" I heard Inigo whine. "I'm here, too!" I laughed quietly. "S-sorry, big bro..." He chuckled. "It's alright, little sis. How are you feeling?" I blinked a bit. "My head hurts... Why...? What happened...?"

Father explained that while Laurent and I were training, bandits attacked the camp. "You took a nasty blow to the head... We took you to Libra immediately..." Mother added. "O-oh..." My eyes widened. "What about Laurent!? Is he alright!?" Mother and Father looked at each other, frowning. "You see... Laurent tried to save you from the hit... And ended up taking most of it..." Inigo said, looking away. I gasped and got out of bed shakily, the cloth falling off my head. "(Y/n)! What are you doing!? You need to rest!" Father said. I shook my head. "Not until I see Laurent and make sure he's alright!"

I stumbled out of my parents' tent, dizzy and tired, walking to Laurent's tent. When I got there, I saw Lissa and Brady. "It's really bad... It's not working good enough..." Lissa said, causing my heart to sink. "C'mon Laurent, open them eyes! Yer lady would hate to see ya like this!" Brady added. My heart sank lower. His lady...? Laurent has someone already...? I shook my head. Now's not the time to think of that. I rushed in and knelt by the bed where my unconscious friend was lying. "Laurent..." I whispered in shock as I saw him. His robes were off, And he had a nasty gash from his left shoulder down to about his waist on his right side. It looked deep.

The cleric and the priest had already cleaned up the wound, but it was still a terrible sight. "(Y/n)!? What in the world are ya doin here!?" Brady asked. "You should be resting..." Lissa added. I shook my head. "He's my best friend in the whole world, and I love him more than anything... I couldn't just stay away when I heard how badly he had been injured..." I answered, tears slowly pouring down my face. "Please... Tell me he's going to be alright!" I shouted, gently touching one of Laurent's hands. The two healers looked at each other. "I wish we could, (y/n)... But we really don't know yet..." Lissa said.

A while later, Libra came in. "How is he doing?" He asked Brady. "We need yer help, Libra, he ain't doin good! Lissa an' I ain't strong enough to help him!" Libra turned his attention to the Mage, and then to me. "(Y/n), I see you're up. It's good that you're feeling better, but you must rest." He said to me, before walking to Laurent and using his staff. Libra was the best healer we have in camp. Lissa and Brady were both young and not as experienced. Laurent immediately started healing. "Good, the wound has closed up." Libra said. "Now, we just have to wait for him to regain consciousness."

The three healers left the tent, leaving Laurent and I alone. I held his hand the whole time I was in there, hoping he would wake up soon. I was about to lose hope, when I felt his hand gently grab mine. "(Y-Y/n)..." He said quietly, slowly sitting up. My eyes widened. "Laurent!" I cried, gently hugging him. He winced a bit, but hugged back, smiling. "I was so worried when I heard what had happened to you!" I said, burying my face in his chest, crying quietly. He gently ran his fingers through my hair. "Shh... It's alright... Everything will be alright..." He said quietly, holding me close to him. "I-I couldn't stand l-losing y-you, Laurent..." I sniffled, as he dried my eyes. "Don't worry... You won't lose me..." He said, kissing my head. I blushed and looked down. "I promise..."

Laurent and I stayed like that for a long time. He held me close to his chest and played with my hair, calming me down. I eventually fell asleep in his arms. He made me feel so safe... When I woke up a short while later, I was laying down in bed again, with the covers pulled over me. Except, I wasn't in my tent or my parents' tent. I sat up, seeing Laurent at his desk, writing. I smiled slightly, knowing he would be alright, but I was also thinking about what Brady had said. Laurent's 'lady'? Who could he have been talking about? He didn't seem to be interested in anyone, at least, not that I've noticed. My eyes suddenly widened.

'A very unique and interesting style.' 'The way you battle fascinates me.' I blushed deeply, but then shook it off. He's probably just complementing me because we're best friends. I sighed, forgetting Laurent was in here. "Oh, (y/n), you're awake." He said with a smile. "I brought you your dinner. I didn't want to wake you." He pointed over the the small nightstand next to the bed. There was a plate of food on it. "T-thank you..." I said with a blush, picking it up. He smiled. "It's no problem. You're my best friend, and I'd do anything for you. I've also been meaning to ask you something..." I looked up at him. "Yes?" He picked up something small from his desk and walked to me, sitting down beside me.

"I... I love you, (y/n). I feel it important that you know." My eyes widened at Laurent's confession. I blushed, still in shock at what he said. "You've been an object of fascination since I first saw you- one I would gladly spend my life investigating. So would you, (y/n), make me the happiest man in the whole world? Will you be my wife?" I smiled brightly and hugged him. "Yes, Laurent! I thought you would never ask!" I replied, kissing him. He chuckled and kissed back, hugging me as well. We pulled away, smiling. "I love you, Laurent." "And I love you as well, (y/n)."