Rejection (Gray)

(A/n: Hey, everyone! I just wanted to let you know that I had a different idea for this story, but I decided not to go with it. If anyone is interested in my original idea for this one, please comment, and I'll get it posted, eventually.)

Reader Point of View

"I choose Tobin..." Clair said, softly. Gray's eyes widened, slightly, and he quickly looked away from Clair. Tobin's eyes widened, as well, and he slowly smiled. "Really, Clair? You mean it?" He asked, fully expecting Clair to choose Gray. Clair nodded, her cheeks a light pink. "Of course I mean it, Tobin. Would I joke about something like this?" Tobin soon grinned. "That's great, Clair." He said. Gray slowly started walking away from the two, as they continued to talk. I was hiding in a nearby tree, watching the entire conversation. I know that I shouldn't have been spying, but I was curious as to who Clair would pick. To be honest, I thought it would be Gray. Obviously, I was wrong.

Gray and I had been very close ever since we were little children. When I say very, I mean it. Some of the adults would call us love birds, even. We would hold hands, hug, and even occaisionally kiss. Gray liked to brag that we were a couple, even though he was too young to even understand what a couple really was. Most people thought that that would end after a couple years, but they were wrong. Gray wasn't too young to understand when we had our last kiss. He was sixteen. However, it wasn't a happy kiss. It was a goodbye kiss. Not goodbye as in one of us was leaving, but goodbye as in our days a 'couple' were over. People had been saying that we were too old to be acting the same way as we were as children, but they didn't realize that we were actually in love. Or, that I was in love, rather. I can't speak for Gray. But that was all two years ago.

-Flashback-

"(Y/n)... You've heard what people have been saying..." Gray whispered, gently touching my cheek. I gently touched his hand, looking him in the eyes. "I... I know..." I said. "But... We don't have to grow up just because some people said to..." I said, quietly, not wanting to give up his sweet kisses. His warm hugs. Him. Gray sighed, softly. "(Y/n), they're right... We're not a couple, and we're not children... We need to stop this... Alright...? Hey, we'll still be close friends..." He said, softly. I looked away. "Why don't we just get married...?" I mumbled, almost silently. Gray looked at me. "Hmm?" He asked. I shook my head. "Nothing..." I said, softly. "(Y/n)..." "I said nothing." Gray bit his lip. "(Y/n), I'm really sorry, okay?" He said. I looked down, but he gently lifted my chin. He pulled me against him and very lightly kissed me. I started to kiss back, but soon pulled away. "I'm going home..." I whispered, walking away.

-End Flashback-

I watched Gray as he walked away. In my head, I was hoping that Clair would choose Gray. In my heart, however, I was relieved when she didn't. I didn't like seeing him upset, though, so I climbed down from my tree and decided to follow him. I hurried to catch up with the young man who was already far ahead of me. "Gray!" I called, running. Gray stopped and slowly turned to look at me. "Hey, (y/n)..." He said. I could hear the hurt in his voice, and I felt so bad for him. Without saying another word, I hugged him, gently. Gray gasped, slightly, in surprise. "(Y/n)..." He whispered, before slowly hugging back. "I... Clair..." "Shh..." I whispered. "I know..." I said, gently pulling him, closer. "It will be alright..." I said, softly. "I'm right here..."

A few months passed, and Gray still wasn't quite himself. Any time he saw Clair, he would look away. He and Tobin didn't talk as much as they had, before, either. That didn't seem very strange to me, but there was one thing that did. Gray seemed to be avoiding me. If I said hello to him, he would just mumble a 'hey' and walk away. The other people in the village would just tell me that he was still upset, but I still didn't see why that would make him avoid me. I had been sitting in a tree, watching Gray, yet again, when Kliff spotted me. "Hey, (y/n)." He said, looking up at me. I looked at him, quietly. "Hello, Kliff..." I said. I climbed down from the tree and walked to him. Kliff sighed, softly. "You shouldn't be spying." He said. I gently put my finger to my lips. "Shh..." I glanced over towards Gray. He wasn't close enough to hear us, but I didn't want to take any chances.