Honesty (Panne)

Reader Point of View

"You are rather noisy for an assassin, (y/n)." I heard a voice say, causing me to jump. I had been sneaking up on Panne, wanting to try a sneak attack, though not a serious one, and she had apparently heard me coming. She turned to face me, and I stepped out of my hiding place with a sigh. "Really...?" I asked with a disappointed and frustrated sigh. Panne nodded a bit. "Yes, though you may have better luck sneaking up on a human." She told me. "Your heart is pounding. I can hear it, easily. It is a good thing for you that you will not be facing an army of taguel." At Panne's words, I felt my cheeks heat up in embarrassment. I had no idea why my heart was beating so hard and fast, as it seemed as though it only happened around Panne. Even in real battles, my heart wouldn't pound in that way.

At my silence, Panne raised a brow. "Is something the matter, (y/n)? Your heartbeat has quickened." She stated, though something in her voice seemed to tell me that she had realized something. I wasn't really sure what, though. "I-I'm fine..." I stuttered. Wait, why did I stutter? Panne let out a quiet sigh. "You are a strange man, (y/n), and you are not true to your heart. Do not speak to me again until you are ready to be honest." She told me, before beginning to walk away. I had no idea what she meant, as I had no idea what was wrong with me. "Panne, wait...!" I called. However, the taguel continued walking until she was out of sight.

It was already getting rather dark, and I made my way to my tent with a sigh, wondering what could possibly be wrong with me. "Come on, (y/n), think..." I mumbled to myself. "What would cause this type of reaction? Am I... Surely I'm not afraid of her..." I mumbled to myself. "So then when I'm around her, why does my heartbeat quicken, and why do I feel so nervous...?" I thought for a little while longer, before my eyes widened. Could I have possibly been in love with the tanguel...? I had to admit, she was both beautiful and cute at the same time, and I was always finding myself trying to impress her. She was also very interesting, and as the last survivor of the taguel, she refused to let anything happen to her. She wanted the taguel to live on.

A light pink dusted my cheeks for the second time that day, as I thought about what Panne had said. So then, she could already tell before I could? And she had thought that I wasn't being honest with her? I had no idea what to think or feel. Could her reaction have meant that she had feelings for me, as well? I knew that I needed to speak with her and try to better understand the situation, but she had told me to not speak to her until I was ready to be honest with her. What was I supposed to do? Walk up to her and say, 'hey, so I think I might have feelings for you, but I'm not sure'? Yeah, because that would go well. With a sigh, I lied down, deciding it would be better to just wait until the morning to figure things out.

Once morning had come, I immediately got up and began trying to think of a way to get Panne to speak to me without telling her the full truth. Grabbing my clothes and throwing them on, I made my way to where everyone was likely already having breakfast. It didn't take long for me to spot the taguel, and I immediately felt a bit nervous. Taking a deep breath, I grabbed some food and slowly made my way to where Panne was sitting. "Good morning, Panne. May I sit with you?" I asked, causing the woman to look up at me. "I believe I told you to not speak to me until you are ready to be honest. Have you decided that you want to tell me what is wrong?" She questioned. I bit my lip and looked away. "I-I don't know what you mean..." I lied, earning a glare from the taguel. "You are still being dishonest. I do not wish to speak with you until you are ready to tell me the truth." She said, before standing and walking away.

I bit my lip and sighed, watching her leave. I then felt a hand on my shoulder, causing me to jump. Turning a bit, I made eye-contact with none other than Gaius, who looked rather unimpressed. "Why don't you just tell her, already? I mean, we both know that she knows." He stated. "After all, it's pretty obvious." He added, causing my eyes to widen and a blush to form on my face. "What do you mean, it's obvious?" I questioned, defensively. Gaius rolled his eyes a bit. "Trust me. It just is." He replied. "Now, I'm going to go find something sweet to eat. Good luck."

I let out a quiet sigh, wondering if it really was as obvious as Gaius had made it seem. If it was, then there was no doubt in my mind that Panne could tell. I just felt a bit silly for not being able to tell, myself. After finishing my breakfast, I began to walk to my tent, when I noticed Panne sitting under a tree, staring up at the sky. She had a bit of a concerned look on her face, and I couldn't help but wonder if it had something to do with me. Biting my lip, I slowly began to make my way over to her, wanting to make sure that she was alright.

"Hey, Panne?" I called, earning the taguel's attention. She sighed a bit. "I take it you still have no intentions of telling me your true feelings?" She started, causing me to sigh, as I sat down beside her. "Actually, I was wanting to check on you. You seem upset about something. Is everything okay?" I asked the woman. She glanced at me for a moment, before looking away. "If you do not plan to be honest with me, then I do not see why I should answer that question." She replied, though she surprisingly didn't leave, that time. I bit my lip. "Please, Panne... H-how about this... If you be honest with me, then I'll be honest with you." I suggested, though I really did not want to bring up the fact that I might have feelings for the woman. I couldn't even look her in the eyes at the moment. However, my suggestion seemed to interest Panne. "Alright..." She said. "I suppose that will work... But we must speak someplace more private." She said, as the two of us stood.

After walking to my tent, Panne and I both sat down. "You are aware that I am the last taguel, correct?" She asked, causing me to nod. "Of course..." I replied, earning a small nod from the woman. "Occasionally, I worry about what would happen if I were to die in battle. That would mean extinction for the taguel, and I do not wish for that to happen. However, one day, it may..." She said with a sigh. I felt rather bad for Panne. It must have been hard being the only taguel left, and I was sure that it had to put a lot of pressure on her. Before I could stop myself, I replied. "Well, what if you were to get married and have children...? Then you wouldn't be the only taguel left..." I mumbled. Panne looked at me, and surprisingly, there was a very faint smile on her face. "Your heartbeat quickened when you said that." She said, almost teasingly. "Who might you suggest I marry?" She questioned.

My heart was pounding harder than ever before. I knew it for sure. I definitely had feelings for the taguel. Biting my lip, I took a deep breath. "Well, I would be more than willing to marry you...!" I blurted, before quickly continuing. "I-I mean, if you would like me to..." I added, looking down. I knew that I was a blushing mess, but I was soon snapped out of my thoughts by a quiet and gentle laugh. "Is this a marriage proposal, (y/n)?" She asked. I bit my lip, knowing how sudden it was, but I immediately nodded. "Yes, it is... I... I've been so confused about my feelings for you, but... But I've realized that what I feel for you is definitely love... So, Panne... Will you marry me...?" Panne let out another quiet laugh. "I was afraid you would never ask. Yes, I will marry you, and I love you, too, (y/n)."

~BONUS~

~A few years later~

"Mama! Dada! Look at all the flowers!" My young son, Yarne, exclaimed, as he stared in awe at a large field of multicolored flowers. He wasn't paying much attention to his surroundings, too focused on what was directly in front of him to notice his little sister, Morgan, sneaking up behind him. "Boo!" She shouted, causing Yarne to jump and yelp. Immediately, the young boy began to cry. Without hesitation, my wife picked the child up and gently began to rock him. "Shh... It was only your sister..." She softly said. Being married to Panne and having children with her, I got to see a side of Panne that not many people got to see. Upset that her brother was upset, Morgan began to cry, as well. "I'm sowwy!" She apologized, sniffling. I let out a soft chuckle and gently picked her up, beginning to rock her, as well.

I turned to Panne, giving her a smile. "Perhaps we should get these two home so that they can nap..." I said, quietly. Panne nodded in agreement. "Yes, that would likely be our best option..." She said, turning to begin walking. However, I quickly stopped her with my free hand. My wife turned to look at me. "Is something the matter, (y/n)?" She asked. Instead of answering her, I gently placed my lips against hers. She was a bit surprised at first, but she soon kissed back. After we separated, Panne smiled at me. "I love you, (y/n)..." She softly said. I happily returned the smile. "I love you, too..."