Chapter 3 ― ❝Surprise!❞

Happiness is not something that you have to achieve, you can still feel happy during the process of achieving something.

— Kim Namjoon.

⊱Chapter 3⊰

SURPRISE

Jin oppa🍜: Ya, where are you? We've been ready for ages!

Hyejin: Ask your father. He drives slower than a turtle.

Hyejin: Anyway, we're almost here! I'll say.. 5 minutes ?

Jin oppa🍜: Gosh. Ok, tell me when you'll pull up, I'll come out.

Hyejin: Yes sir!

"Dad, you should really hit the gas."

"Kim Hyejin" M. Kim called out his daughter's name, his tone being straight and forward.

"Oh no." Hyejin sighed and got ready for the lecture.

"You and I are surgeons. In fact, all the members of this family are. And as surgeons, what is the main reason for most common cases we see in the ER ?"

"Car accidents.." She answered nonchalantly.

"Exactly. Car accidents. The last thing I want today is to have an accident when I can finally enjoy retirement. Is that clear enough?"

"Like water, Dr. Kim." She chuckled at the view of her father holding onto the wheel firmly.

Her eyes examined the elder for a minute. His appearance changed a bit since she left fo Australia. She softened as she stared at the wrinkles on his pale skin. They were the proof of his experiences through life. It made her feel proud.

"Appa?" She called softly. M. Kim hummed, not letting a single thing disturb him from driving safely.

"I missed you a lot. I'm happy you're healthy." She confessed and this firm and focused facial expression M. Kim had earlier disappeared in a snap of fingers. It turned soft, or even emotional.

He knew he spent his entire life working, hoping to one day give his children the best life. He promised he won't ever retire until he's sure they can live by themselves, until they all achieved their dreams.

The day finally came.

"You're not gonna cry, are you?" Hyejin leaned in closer to get a glimpse at her father. The later tried his best to hold onto his tears, causing him to make a weird face.

Hyejin laughed and placed her head on her father's shoulder, "It's ok, appa. We'll take care of you now."

Hyejin: We're here!

The father and daughter stepped out of the car and headed towards the main entrance.

Hyejin gasped as her eyes traveled around the property. She's seen her brother's house. In fact, he called her the day he bought it. However, that was through a screen and she didn't expect it to be this big.

The house looked modern by the floor-to-ceiling windows yet very simple at the same time. It was a perfect mix of wood and stone walls. The sun shined at the right angle. It's just magically warm and it looked very cozy.

Soon, Seokjin came out of the house clearly excited until his eyes fell down on his father.

His head tilted to the side as he tried to get what looked different and that's when he saw their father's burning eyes.

"Did you cry— You made father cry?!" He quietly yelled, making sure the boys didn't hear him. "Appa, are you ok?"

"He's just emotional because I told him I missed him" Hyejin chuckled while reaching for her father's arm for a soft cuddle.

"Ah. Now I get it. Come on, let's go." He pulled his sister by her hand and rushed to the main door. "Ok, so you stay behind me. I'll hide you, they're all behind the door."

Hyejin nodded and held onto Seokjin's back, tightening her grip on his shirt as she felt her tension rise by the second.

Seokjin pushed the door open and there was the six boys, standing by the entrance. In a blink of an eye, the silence turned into chaos.

"OH HI M. KIM !" Namjoon's voice was heard first.

"Good morning, Sir" Yoongi bowed.

"M. KIM! Yaaa, you look so much younger!" Hoseok cheered out.

"Hello!" Jungkook, Jimin and Taehyung joined their friends and greeted the elder with bows.

"Hey kiddos" M. Kim chuckled, "Ahh, right Hobi!? I thought so too!"

"Anyway! I have a surprise guys!" Seokjin took control back on the situation after giving his father a disgusted face.

"Oh yeah? and where is it? Because unless it's food, I don't care that much about it. No offence, M. Kim." Yoongi added the last words, followed with yet another bow.

Hyejin brought her hands to her mouth, trying to keep her laugh in after hearing Yoongi's response. That's exactly what she expected he'd say and that's way too funny for her.

"Oh? What are those? Tiny legs behind you?" Hoseok asked in confusion.

"Oh?!"

"A girlfriend?"

"He wish" Yoongi answered Jimin's question nonchalantly.

"Guys, I present to you.." Seokjin moved away, spreading his arms in the air, "KIM—"

"HYEJIN ?!" The six voices exclaimed, all shocked at the sudden presence of their old-friend who they (almost) all consider as their own little sister.

"Ya, you didn't let me finish. I prepared a lot—"

"Surprise!" Hyejin waved at all of them, "Did you miss me?"

"HYEJINIE !" Jimin cheered, running towards the girl and crashed onto her. Taehyung followed his friend and soon enough, Hyejin was surrounded by five pairs of arms wrapped her tiny little body.

"Aigo, I missed all of you too." She giggled in their embrace.

"Ya" Seokjin said, walking closer to the last one of the group.

"Uh?" Jungkook looked over his shoulder after his elder placed his hand on it.

Jungkook was too shaken up by the sudden surprise that he lost track of what was happening. It's the first time he sees her again after all these years. Of course, his feelings for her belong to the past but he'd be lying to say that it didn't make him feel something.

"Why don't you go greet her? I know you had your reasons back then but years passed and you two grew up. Come on." Seokjin pushed him slightly towards the group.

As all of them pulled away, Jungkook made its appearance in front of the girl. They both stared at each other for a couple of seconds until Hyejin decided to make the first step,

"Hey Jungkook"

She let out a soft smile, spreading her arms. Without adding a word, Jungkook let his feet guide him and pressed his body against her, wrapping his arms around her.

A wave of feelings invaded the both of them. Jungkook closed his eyes as memories of them rushed back to his mind. Her voice, her hair, her tiny body that fitted perfectly under his, her scent.. everything came back to him.

"Hey Hyejin"