Chapter 7 ― HOPE Cafe

Friends are the sunshine of life.

— John Hay.

⊱Chapter 7⊰

HOPE CAFE

"Her lactic acid is normal."

"So? What does that tell us, Dr. Lee?" Hyejin asked out as Jeno just gave her a few labs results. After getting absolutely nothing in return, Hyejin stopped reading the files and looked up to her side, "Dr. Lee?"

"Oh, sorry. Well, it means she's not septic so she's fine."

"Exactly. Keep your focus on, Dr. Lee." Hyejin commented, checking for the time on her watch, "Go check Ms. Lee Hyuna's post-op stats."

With a nod, Jeno disappeared into the hospital, leaving Hyejin by herself at the nurses' counter.

"Well, well, well. Who's that beautiful doctor over here?"

There was no need for Hyejin to look around her to know who that voice belonged to. While keeping her eyes on the iPad in her hands, she shook her head in amusement.

"Hey oppa."

Jin leaned against the counter, "Who would've thought you'll be that type of teacher here, huh?"

"That type?" He picked her interest as she finally looked away from her device.

"The way you spoke and looked at Dr. Lee was definitely the kind of teacher interns are scared of."

Hyejin wasn't aware of that and the guilt and surprise on her face was priceless to her brother. Maybe it was because Jeno's comment earlier, she ended up acting like that. She had no idea. Seokjin laughed and patted her shoulder.

"It's no big deal. You've been here since 6am. Take a break." He suggested, expecting a yes as an answer.

"I'm fine for now. I still have to check—"

"Go take a break." Jin cut her off and took hold of her iPad before slipping it under his arm. "I'll take care of your patients for the next hour."

"Hour?!" She exclaimed herself.

As a first day in Seoul Grand Hospital, Hyejin felt like she should be present every second. She felt like she had to prove herself to God knows who.

Jin nodded his head to the side, completely ignoring her, "You should go to Hobi's coffee shop since you didn't come with us this morning."

As much as she wanted to argue about it, Hyejin knew her brother. The amount of time she'll waste on insisting might as well be used to relax.

Hyejin rolled her eyes and clicked her tongue, "Alright."

After changing into her everyday clothes, Hyejin placed her pager on her belt before exiting the attendings' lounge. As she was about to head for the cafeteria, Jin's words rushed back to her mind.

'Let's pay a visit to Hobi.' She mentally declared.

A few minutes later, Hyejin reached the opposite side of the Hospital. A wooden medium sized sign was displayed on the storefront, bringing the girl to smile with pride.

"HOPE CAFE" She read.

She made her way to the entrance and pushed the door opened only to trigger her faint bell signalling her entry.

"Welcome to Hope Cafe!" A female voice greeted her.

While the waitress kept her eyes on Hyejin, the latter  took the time to admire her surroundings. The place was totally her style and most importantly, it was representative of Hoseok.

Everything was perfectly contrasted. The different shades of brown coming from the different furnitures attenuated the bright white coming from the walls. Plant creepers were everywhere and added a warm feeling of coziness.

In other words, it was perfect.

"Good afternoon Ma'am.What can I do for you today" The young waitress grinned as Hyejin reached the counter.

"I'll have a Caramel Macchiato with cream on top please."

"Of course! Is it for here or to go?"

"I'll have it here, please."

The employee typed a few things on the screen with her smile never leaving her face. A few seconds later, she looked up,

"Your total would be 5$ please," She gestured towards the paypass machine upon seeing Hyejin holding up her credit card.

A little sound signalled the successful transaction and the waitress bowed her head, "Thank you Ma'am. Your drink will—"

"NO!"

The two girls jumped in surprise at the sudden scream. They both glanced to their side only to see an outraged Hoseok standing with both of his hands by his temples.

"I'm sorry boss?"

"Hobi?"

"What did you do Lisa ?!!" He exclaimed, rushing to the cash with disbelief. The poor girl began to stress out as she tried to recall her previous actions. Her eyes followed Hoseok's fingers while he typed on the screen.

"I-I passed the transaction and it got accepted.. a-and.. Did I do something wrong boss?—"

"YES! I mean.. NO Lisa," He slapped his face before turning his attention to their client, "Lisa, this is Doctor Kim Hyejin, Seokjin's sister which makes her my own too."

Lisa immediately understood and stepped away from the cash before bending into a 90 degree bow. "Oh, I'm sorry Dr. Kim! Your drink should've been free!"

"W-what? Wait- You don't have to apologize Lisa! It's totally fine!" Hyejin waved her hands hysterically, "Oppa! Don't make her feel bad! I can pay for my own coffee!"

"No!" He stated while typing on the screen harshly.

"What are you doing?" She tried to peek over the counter in vain.

"I'm giving your money back!"

"Eh?!" Hyejin stood up from the stool and covered the cash register with her arms, "DON'T ! You'll pay me something else after work!"

Hoseok watched her angrily for a couple of seconds before he finally gave in at the sight of her pouting face, "Fine. I'll go make your coffee."

"Yeah." She smiled and sat back only to see Lisa awkwardly standing by the computer. "I'm sorry for this, Lisa. Don't mind him."

"No, it's my fault. We all know how dearly boss carries his friends in his heart."

"You couldn't have known I one of them anyway. It's none of your fault." Hyejin chuckled and a smile finally replaced the tightened expression Lisa had on.

"Right."

The situation finally calmed down and the atmosphere went back to being relaxed. As Hyejin waited for her drink, she reached for a journal and started reading it.

The door bell rang again signalling new customers.

"Welcome to Hope— Oh, welcome back Officer Jeon!"

By the sound of the familiar name, Hyejin drifted around on her stool. However, she never imagined she would witness the sight she just saw.

"Hyejin?"