Chapter 18 ― Feeling Nostalgic

Nostalgia is the hearts way of reminding you of something you once loved.

— Ranata Suzuki.

Chapter 18

FEELING NOSTALGIC

"Thank you Dr. Kim, thank you so much" A teary husband held onto Hyejin's sleeve after getting the news his wife was now doing fine.

"The pleasure is mine. You'll be able to see her in a bit so please go grab yourself a cup of tea or coffee in the meantime."

She gently patted the side of his shoulder and bowed slightly before leaving the elder's side.

Hyejin heaved out a sigh as she walked away from the hallway. It felt good to say those words to a member of the patient's family but she was lucky enough to still have a successful surgery after a full week spent here.

Despite her confidence, it's still stressful for her every time she's heading to surgery. She knows that no matter how long she's been performing such procedures, there will always be risks.

Her feet lead her to a balcony and the scenery soothed her. It was around four o'clock.

The sun shone down on the beautiful parc that was behind the Hospital. The trees were the healthiest green and the happy families playing around brought a smile to her face.

This particular sight was the reason why she chose this job and all traces of fatigue washed away.

"Feeling nostalgic?"

Hyejin turned around only to see Johnny holding two cups of coffee in his hands. She awkwardly smiled back and nodded,

"Kind of. I've never seen this side of the Hospital, it's nice."

"It's usually the place we all come to whenever we feel down. We all end up finding it by ourselves," He responded while walking closer to her position. With a warm smile on his face, he held a cup forward, "There."

Hyejin's puzzled look caused him to chuckle in response, "I've heard your surgery had complications so I thought you might need some coffee."

The girl was taken aback by his action. She reached for the paper cup and offered a soft smile in return, "Thank you"

Johnny nodded and joined her side. "It was a long one?"

"I almost lost her" Hyejin said before taking a sip of the hot beverage. The drink warmed up her inside and it somewhat comforted her.

"But you stabilized her?"

Hyejin hummed in between two sips.

Johnny looked over his shoulder and the sight caused him to chuckle once again. Hyejin was cutely holding the cup to her mouth with both of her hands. As she was looking straight at the view, her mouth formed a slight pout while being glued on the corner of the cup. It was the cutest thing.

He cleared his throat and pulled his eyes away, "So you've been away from Seoul for a while?"

"Yes, seven years in total but I came back the first two years for vacation"

"Woah, didn't you miss Korea though? Your family?"

Hyejin's eyes dropped for a couple of seconds.

The thought of the two first years hit back. She was happy to come back every once a year but every time she did so, she was reminded of how hard her parents worked for her. They chose not to rest until their last child finally get a job. One that'll take away all their worries.

"I did but.." She laughed her thoughts away after she examined the cup of coffee in her hands, "It's a pretty long story. Did you get this to Hope Cafe?"

"Ha, yes, I did. Do you like this place?" He said, smiling, looking down at his own coffee. Hyejin nodded with pride,

"Yes, it's my friend's place."

"I see, you—"

"There you are!"

The duo turned around and Jin stood there with his hands on his hips.

"Hum? You were looking for me?"

"Yes! I have a surprise for you!" Jin grabbed his sister's hand and clasped a hand on her eyes then pulled her away, "Oh and you can tag along if you want Johnny"

Hyejin let herself being pulled all the way through the corridor while Johnny followed the siblings behind. As they passed by the reanimation department, Baekhyun got a glimpse at the trio. He rose a brow,

"Where are you all going?"

Johnny shrugged,

"Oh Baekhyun, tag along!" Jin shouted without peeking behind him.

"Jin what the hell—"

"TADA !"

Hyejin's eyes popped opened. It took her a few seconds to adjust to the bright light coming from each side.

When her vision got clearer, a small figure stood in front of her with both of her arms wide opened. Her long and light blush pink hair were falling on her shoulders. Her gummy smile took over her entire face. The familiarity of this person took only a blink of an eye before it popped in Hyejin's head.

"CHAE ?!"

Hyejin shouted. Her voice echoed in the hall but she could care less.

"SURPRISE!"

The girl ran in her bestfriend's arms and giggles took over the entire hallway. Their bodies swung from left to right as they started making tiny circles on themselves.

"And why are we here?" Baekhyun spoke out first.

Jin gave out the proudest dad smile and crossed his arms, "This, my friends, is the new neuro surgeon. Also one of the best of Australia."

"Do we have to go to Australia?" Baekhyun gasped.

"What for?"

"Seems like it's where we can find beautiful girls. They are incredibly pretty, both of them."

Jin looked over his shoulder and shot his friend a glare that made the latter swallow back his words.

"Don't flash on my sister, alright?"

Baekhyun laughed and stepped closer to Jin. He patted his shoulder and leaned closer to his ear, "Don't worry, I think someone's done it before me."

The two of them looked to their side and Johnny was bewitched by the girl in front of them. One in particular.