Chapter 28 ― Disappointment

The emotion that can break your heart is sometimes the very one that heals it.

— Nicholas Sparks.

Chapter 28

DISAPPOINTMENT

•••

"We fought about you" Jungkook said.

His words rang in the back of my head. I was wondering why, what or how was I involve in their fight.

The questions filled my mind until it popped in.

A groan escaped my mouth as I remembered our discussion from a week back.

Flashback

"Hyejin-ah"

I turned away from the fridge only to see Jungkook standing by the kitchen island a few feet away from me. I whined mentally before humming,

"Are you ignoring me? Because it feels like it when you're speaking to every single one of us but me."

For a couple seconds, I felt bad until Soyeon's words soon came back to my mind.

I knew myself that I never expected anything else but being good friends with Jungkook when I interacted with him.

However, I can understand how much it can bother her. As a girlfriend, I would feel triggered if my boyfriend laughs too much with his ex-girlfriend. Especially if this dumbass told me she was the love of his life.

I gulped down my thoughts and shook my head before closing the fridge, "I'm not, you're hallucinating"

"Mh, yeah but no. Even Jimin hyung saw it since yesterday's dinner. At least answer my questions with a word and not a nod."

A sigh escaped my lips knowing I was clearly not as smooth as I thought I was.

"I just don't want Soyeon to feel uneasy about you coming over our house too often. Back in the days, it was Jin's house but now I'm included in the picture." I explained and his eyes turned dark.

"Did she say something?"

His tone became much more serious and I blinked in confusion, "No"

"Don't lie to me. It might've been years but your upper lips still trembles when you're about to lie." He pointed out, taking be aback, "What did she say? When? How?"

"Woah, I feel exposed"

"Hyejin."

"It isn't that big of a deal and I absolutely get where she comes from. She prefers we keep our distance and that's understandable."

"I hate it when people don't trust me." He groaned oh too confidently, "I wouldn't even think of cheating"

"Well, at least you changed for the best," The words came out of my mouth without even me controlling them. His face fell down and a nervous laugh came out of my mouth, "Sorry, I couldn't control it. Anyway, don't think too much about it. Let's go eat, I'm starving!"

I held the bottles of wine between my arms and gracefully escaped the awkwardness, joining the rest of the group in the outdoor patios where our BBQ was burning up.