Chapter 6 ― Doctor Kim Hyejin

If you don't work hard, there won't be a good result.

Jung Hoseok.

⊱Chapter 6⊰

DOCTOR KIM HYEJIN

Three hours have passed since Hyejin came to the Hospital and sat by the computer of the radiology room.

She spent all morning going through the medical records of the cardiothoracic service's patients. As she studied every single cases, she made sure she didn't let any information left out.

"Hard time breathing due to a clot in her lungs—" Hyejin got stopped in her mumbles by a knock on the door.

She turned around on her rolling chair and saw a man standing by the door frame, his face not showing much emotion. In fact, it wasn't welcoming at all.

"Excuse me but this room is reserved for the medical staff only." He stated as his eyes scanned her attire.

Hyejin followed his gaze and that's when she noticed it herself. She was wearing her everyday clothes and had no sign of her being a doctor or just any kind of medical staff. She let out a faint sigh before standing up.

"I'm sorry, I didn't change yet and I let my blouse in the lounge. I'm Kim Hyejin, cardiothoracic attending." She introduced herself, holding her hand upfront.

Despite his composed expression, his eyes still showed a bit of surprise and she already knew why. It was always the case when it came to her being an attending. Her age. Hyejin might be the youngest attending of this hospital.

After clearing his throat, he finally spoke again while placing his hand in hers, "Oh, I've heard you were one of the best residents back in Melbourne. I'm Byun Baekhyun, head of cardio."

'So the first person I meet in here is my chief.' She hid her thought with a smile.

"Did you get to go around the different services yet?"

Hyejin shook her head and pointed at the towers of papers on the desk, "Not yet, I went through the files so I'd be ready to meet the patients."

Baekhyun was impressed but he didn't show it. Instead, he looked back at her with his usual pokerface, "You still have about thirty minutes left. I'll show you around. Let's go."

The duo walked around the Hospital for the remaining time. Baekhyun showed the girl around starting by the operating rooms (OR) then the different departments all the way down to the Emergency department, introducing her to the staff as they went by.

"I think you've seen everything except for.." He looked around after they made their last stop next to the nurses' counter. "Dr. Lee!"

Hyejin followed her peer's eyes and got a glimpse at a tall and young doctor wearing the usual white blouse. The latter turned around and she could see his full attire. The light grey surgical attire confirmed he was still in his internship years.

"Yes, Dr. Byun." Dr. Lee responded, joining the duo.

"Dr. Kim, this is Dr. Lee Jeno, second year intern. As you may already know, this hospital is a teaching one so we, attendings, have the duty of teaching medical students while they go around the different department." Baekhyun explained things she already knew. "Dr. Lee, you'll be in Kim's service for the day."

For a split moment, Jeno paused with his eyes scanning his now superior. The two attendings rose a brow before the words finally came out of his mouth,

"But i-isn't she too young?"

Hyejin was a tempered girl. It was easy to piss her off but lucky for him, she learnt how to deal with it.

Instead of bursting out, Hyejin smiled, "I appreciate your concern Dr. Lee. I'm Dr. Kim Hyejin, cardiothoracic atten—"

"M-my sister—" a patient cried out, trying to remove her mask off her face.

"Ms. Lee Jenni, 24, car accident. Evident trauma to head and chest." A resident informed out the patient's record as a group of medical professionals entered the emergency room (ER) with a hospital stretcher.

"Ma'am, please stay put."

"My sister—!" She got even more agitated.

The trio brought their attention to the chaos that just entered the scene. Upon seeing the patient's despair, Hyejin left her peers and jumped in to calm the teenage girl.

"Ms. Lee?" Hyejin called, "Ms. Lee, look at me."

Ms. Lee's eyes met Hyejin's. The patient's gaze were full of fear and expressed her stress without having to say a word.

"What is your sister's name?"

"H-Hyuna. Hyuna L-Lee." She stumbled on her words.

"Alright, Jenni. I'm Dr. Kim Hyejin. I will go and find Hyuna then I will personally take care of her, ok?" Hyejin promised.

With tears in her eyes, Ms. Lee nodded. Her shakiness finally stabilized. Hyejin gave out a warm smile before nodding at the staff to let them proceed.

The two men watched their colleague in awe. Even if it seemed to be a pretty typical case for them, every patient is different, meaning they all react differently. A doctor has to adapt and Hyejin just showed it was easy.

"Dr. Lee!" Hyejin called out abruptly causing the young man to run at her in a snap of fingers. "Go find the patient named Lee Hyuna and get her in one of these ER right now."

"Yes!" He nodded intensely and ran around, passing by Baekhyun again, "She's awesome!"

"Ohh, Baekhyun-ah!" Another doctor reached the nurses' counter, his hands in his pockets.

"Ah, Jin-ah" Baekhyun greeted his friend before his gaze went back to the working girl. Hyejin was now running along the hospital stretcher, examining the unconscious girl laying before her.

Jin blinked in confusion upon seeing his friend completely lost in his own thoughts. He looked over his shoulders and got a glimpse at his little sister in her full glory.

A smirk reached his face before he slapped the back of Baekhyun's head.

"YA, what was that for ?!"

"Stop drooling over my sister you thirsty ass!"

"Your— What?!" Baekhyun turned around instantly only to meet an amused Jin who had his arms crossed together. "Hyejin— I mean, Dr. Kim is your sister?! Why wasn't I informed ?!"

"Because I know my sister and I knew she'll impress you without me putting a word." He explained before getting closer to Baekhyun's face, "So, back off."

"I-I wasn't thinking of that,"

"Sure."