Chapter 52 ㅡ News

Never give up on someone you can't spend a day not thinking about.

—Jung Hoseok.

Chapter 52
NEWS

•••

I was tired. Actually, no, I was exhausted. Not physically but mentally. I leaned against the metal structure of the sink in front of me and exhaled deeply.

"Good job in there Dr. Kim," Jeno commented yet I couldn't take in the compliment. I forced on a smile and nodded, letting him pass me and exit the room.

I stared blankly at the scene before me. I successfully finished a surgery yet I couldn't feel the hype.

I cracked my neck to the side, trying to relieve the tension, and looked straight forward, my gaze being focused and determined.

"Ok, you got this Hyejin." I encouraged myself and followed Jeno. "What do we have now?"

"Ms. Hwang Nana's daily check-up Dr. Kim asked about." Jeno responded while handing me the patient's record. Nodding, we automatically made our way to Ms. Hwang's room.

As expected, the room was extremely quiet and most noticeably, empty. She seems to have no one surrounding her everyday despite her serious condition.

"Good afternoon Ms. Hwang, I'm here to do your daily check—" I stumbled on my words upon hearing a faint sound coming from my partner. I raised my brow and looked over my shoulder, "Is there a problem, Dr. Lee?"

He shrugged, confused, "The patient is in coma."

"So? It's not a reason for not treating her like other patients, she might be able to hear us." I rolled my eyes in disbelief before nodding to the side, "Let's start the check-up."

Jeno slightly bowed for his mistake and quickly grabbed his stethoscope, starting the check-up. I observed him for a moment until my attention went back to the patient.

For a slight second I wished I was in her shoes. For the few days I was unconscious after my surgery, I got so much rest. I felt so good at that moment.

I felt free?

Free of all stress that life can cause. Free of any pain that I was going through physically. Will it be the same now that the pain transferred internally? I was curious.

I have so much to deal with now. What should I do?

"Dr. Kim?"

"Dr. Kim?" Jeno's voice got louder and I finally snapped back to reality. I shook my head and hummed. "Your phone is ringing."

"Uh? Oh!" I reached for my cellphone in the front pocket of my white blouse and accepted the call without checking who it was.

"Hello?"

"Jinie! Are you busy right— don't ask her if she's busy!" A second voice added onto Jimin's.

"Jimin? What's going on? Yes, I'm at work."

"Can you come to hyung's cafe please?" He asked and I tilted my head to the side.

"I can't right—"

"Please.." He demanded with his sweet voice, one that every sane human being would die for. The silence following his voice gave me the picture of him pouting and I expectedly gave in.