Chapter 30 ― Duty

Nurture your mind with great thoughts. To believe in the heroic makes heroes.

— Benjamin Disraeli.

Chapter 30

DUTY

•••

"Dr. Kim, would you like me to close the patient for you? You barely had any sleep since the shooting." Jaemin offered.

If it was any other patient, I would of have let him do so I can teach him more. However, it wasn't the case.

Soyeon was more than a patient. Being Jungkook's girlfriend made me twice as responsible of her. I couldn't let anyone other than me close her.

"I'm fine Dr. Na, thanks for the offer." I responded before starting to stitch her up.

A couple of minutes later, I cut my last stitch and took a step back.

"She's all yours."

The rest of the medical staff nodded and began preparing Soyeon to go back to her room.

I made my way to the other side of the window and began to clean myself. My eyes were glued on the operating table.

Thoughts rushed in my mind. It was all mixed-up and the fatigue wasn't helping. I was angry but happy. I was upset but relieved. I was a mess.

I walked out of the OR once I was done and went directly to Soyeon's room. I was determined. I wanted to talk to Jungkook.

Selfishly asking me to be in charge wasn't fair. It added so much weight onto my shoulders it actually hurt my brain.

I was scared; scared to be the one operating his girlfriend. I wasn't supposed to as a specialized physician but I'm human. This is why there's law against treating a member of your family. Soyeon isn't but it felt as stressful.

"Oh there she is!" Jimin cheered as I slid the door open. Upon seeing my face, Jimin's instantly fell down, "Are you ok? Is Soyeon ok?"

"Hyejin?" Jungkook called out, standing up from his seat.

I let out a sigh, "Soyeon's surgery went well. She's doing perfectly fine. She'll be here in a moment."

Jungkook exhaled a long sigh of relief while Jimin approached me, "Then what's wrong? You look tired, you should probably take a rest."

"I-I,"

The words I wanted to say got caught up in my throat after getting a sight of Jungkook and the memory of him getting kicked out of the room flashed back.

I wanted to bash at him, pour my anger on him. But he had enough. It wasn't right.

I shoved my feelings away and redirected my attention towards Jimin, "Probably, yes."

"Then go take a rest or maybe should I drive you—."

"Hey kiddos," Jin entered the room with his bright aura and went directly to his sister's side, wrapping his left arm around her shoulders, "I heard your surgery went well. Are you alright?"

"Yeah, I'm just very tired," I admitted, finally letting my guard down.

"You're not on-call today, go home and rest. I'll make sure to look over your patients' post-ops. How long was your shift?"

"26."

"Wait, tell me this is some sort of codes and not 26 hours." Jimin commented with worry.

I rested my head on Jin's chest and nodded before closing my eyes, "It is."

"Is that even possible?!" Jimin exclaimed sharing Jungkook's shock.

Jin was triggered by the boys' reaction as his ears turned red, "You guys really don't listen to me huh? How many times did I tell you I was tired because of long shifts?!"

"Huh? What?" Jungkook looked up at Jin.

Jin heaved out a sigh and stared at Jimin, "Chimmy, can you drive her back home? I still have a surgery in a few."

"Why do you even ask." Jimin rolled his eyes before joining my side. "Should we go now?"

I nodded before straightening myself as I was leaning against Jin's chest.

"Wait. Can I talk to you before you go?" Jungkook joined the conversation bringing all of us to raise a brow, not expecting him to take a step forward right now. "Sure."

The both of us exited the room with Jin and Jimin giving us the typical stare of the older brothers keeping eyes on you. We pushed ourselves to the side where the others couldn't see us and I waited for him to start.

He kept his eyes deeply in mine for a few seconds before letting out a sigh, "I just wanted to thank you."

I didn't know what to say at this particular moment. 'Should I bash at him right now? We're alone so it's the perfect moment' I thought.

"Thank you for what?" I tilted my head to the side.

"For treating Soyeon like any other patient."

I scoffed at his words. They triggered me to a point where I wanted to grab something and throw it at his face.

"What?" He said.

"Treating her like any other patient? She is a patient, Jungkook. It's my duty to treat her. What do you even mean by that?"

"I meant because she's my girlfriend now."

He pulled my last resting nerve.

I sucked on my bottom lips, trying hard to contain the words, but in vain, "Do you really think it counts in situation like this? Do you really think it'll influence me? Who do you think I am? Everything isn't about you."

"It's not what I meant—"

"Listen, Jungkook. I'm tired. I'll see you around."