Chapter 27 ― Relief

Courage is knowing what not to fear.

— Plato.

Chapter 27

RELIEF

•••

"Hyejin?"

I turned around only to see Jungkook completely out of breath bythe other end of the corridor.

"HYEJIN !"

"Jungkook? Are you ok? What's happening?" I asked out of worry. The man looked so lost and it confused me. What could he possibly be doing in an Hospital except for the fact that he's feeling sick.

"Have you seen Soyeon?!"

"No? Was I supposed to?" She responded back.

"She's one of the victims!"

It took me a couple of seconds to process the information until it clicked. My eyes and mouth widened and I immediately turned my attention back to Johnny,

"Did you treat a patient named Lee Soyeon?"

Unfortunately, Johnny shook his head and I bit the corner of my lips. "I just finished with my second patient and both were young boys."

"Shit." I mumbled and when I looked to my side, Jungkook was already there. I heaved out a sigh and put my hand on his shoulder, "We'll find her ok?"

Jungkook, Johnny and I went to the ER. After my six hours away, I saw that the department slowed down a bit. It was less packed and the chaos has been handled.

While I let Jungkook look around the different beds, I went ahead and checked the OR board. As I scrolled down the different names, Soyeon's was nowhere to be seen.

"She's in Rea!" Johnny came back after going to a nurse, "Baekhyun hyung just closed her so he'll have to wait a moment."

I let out a long sigh of relief. I nodded and went ahead to look for Jungkook, "Hey, she just came out of surgery so you have to wait until they prepare her and give her a room—"

"—I can't Hyejin! She must be scared!"

His reaction caught me off guard. For some unknown reason, I felt a pinch to my heart. I shook my thoughts away and tried to calm him down.

"Listen, I'll go check on her myself and I'll come back right after alright?"

Even though he was scared, I knew he trusted me. Jungkook bit his lips but found himself nodding at my words.

I pulled out a soft smile before accompanying him to the waiting room. Despite his status of officer detective, he must follow the rules like every other family members here.

Jungkook sat down and his puppy eyes looked up at me with hope.

"I'll be back." And he nodded.

As Johnny and I waited for the elevator to reach the right level, we talked, "Is this one of your friend? I feel bad for him, this must not be easy for him."

"You can say that, yeah"

My words peeked his interest and he raised a brow. I glanced over my shoulder only to see his puzzled expression. I let out a chuckle, the very first one since my awful surgery,

"He's my ex-boyfriend"

"Ouch, the ex-girlfriend taking care of the actual one. How awkward is that?" He teased me and it actually made me laugh. I could see he was trying to ease the atmosphere and calm me down.

"I know right"

The elevator doors shot opened and we made our way down the reanimation department.

A couple of doors later, we reached Soyeon's. Soyeon was unconscious, which was pretty normal after undergoing a surgery.

I went ahead and checked her stats. It seemed like she had a few complications but Baekhyun managed to bring her back and remove all traces of projectiles from her body.

A sigh of relief escaped my lips.

Honestly, I didn't want to have to tell another bad news to someone. Even if we still have to wait for her to wake up, it's still a weight lifting to know everything went well.

I looked down at the girl lying after placing the iPad back. I used to despise her so much after what she had done to me but I guess time does heal indeed.

I walked out of the room where Johnny waited for me with his hands in his pockets, as usual, which oddly made me chuckle,

"What?" He tilted his head. I have to admit, he looked pretty charming.

"You always look so serious yet classy keeping your hands in your pockets like this"

"Well, maybe I am?"

I rolled my eyes in amusement, "Sure. I'll go update my ex"

"Alright, I'll go get myself some coffee, want some?"

"I told you already," I said turning around while still walking to the elevator, "I never refuse coffee!"

Johnny laughed and nodded before I entered the elevator.

I looked around the waiting area until my eyes fell on Jungkook. He had his head buried in his hands, he looked beaten up and this image hurt me too.

I walked closer to him and bended down, "Jungkook?"

He pushed his head up and my heart sank at the sight. His eyes were burning red and his face was covered by tears. I sucked in my bottom lip.

"She's doing fine. They managed to treat her and we're just waiting for her to wake up, you can go see her now."

He was silent. He nodded and automatically stood up.

I guided him through the Hospital until we reached Soyeon's room. On our way there, Jungkook was dead quiet and I couldn't help but wondered why.

As we stood by the room's large window, I raised a brow noticing he was still standing next to me.

"Aren't you going inside?"

Jungkook's eyes fell to the ground and I felt bad, "What's happening Jungkook? Do you want me to call Jin—"

"We fought this morning before she headed to work and now that's where she is.." He mumbled.

I looked up at him and at this moment, I didn't know what to say. He couldn't possibly think it was his fault? It's pretty clear it isn't.

"She'll want you by her side when she wakes—"

"We fought about you."