Chapter 54 ㅡ Path

You taught me that someday the sadness will wind us together.

—Bangtan Sonyeondan (Your Eyes Tell).

Chapter 54

PATH

•••

"How? Just tell me how did we end up like this, Jungkook ?" I asked in disbelief, all traces of energy long gone. His eyes were looking back at me yet I couldn't feel anything. It was hard for me to read them now when he's been like an opened book to me ever since. His facial expression showed nothing but abandonment. In fact, it felt like he was giving up.

Giving up on me, giving up on us.

"Why can't you respond to me? Isn't it the least you can do?" I managed to control the crack in my voice despite the endless pain taking over my entire chest and stomach.

"What do you wanna hear Hyejin? I told you everything I had to say before." He remained cold.

"You didn't tell me anything, you yelled at me. Can't we just have a calm conversation? I just—"

"Why ? Why should we rehash the past ? It should stay where it belongs, in the past." He declared with absolutely no effort or shame. With a sigh, he stood up, "You only came here to take your stuff back, right?"

I watched him open his drawer to take my belongings I had left there. Each one of his moves felt like kicks to my heart. As he took out the pieces of clothings, it felt like he threw all of our memories in this one bag.

My  light purple dress. The one I wore on the day I met his parents. He threw it in the bag.

My large tshirt covered with paint stripes. He came over to my house to paint our garage which ended up into a paint war. He thew it in the bag.

My black cardigan. The one I wore every single night when it got chilly. He would come behind me and wrap his arms around my body to warm me up. The cardigan felt like a lucky charm, it was as if I was calling for a hug. He threw it in the bag.

When I thought I was ok, that I had built a shield around myself, I was now holding onto each bricks of the wall surrounding my heart. I tried my best to remain calm and emotionless when all I wanted to do was burst into tears. Despite everything we tried, we failed.

"There." He handed me a bag in which he put all of my stuff.

Tired mentally, I cleared my throat and stood up. I gathered all of my energy to take the bag into my hand and walk out of his room.

"I'll walk you back."

Those simple words brought me to laugh in irony. "There's no need."

"I wasn't asking." He replied, following me out.

As we walked down the street with the sun slowly letting place to the moon, I stared at his back. This guy that I used to know better than anyone else now turned to be a stranger. This young and bubbly man I loved so dearly has now turned cold, closed-up.

Yet, I still love him. Despite the harsh words, the fights, the screams, the tears.. I still loved him.

Before I knew it, we reached the corner of my neighborhood and he stopped.