Chapter 34 ― Nothing Happened

The only thing we can control is ourselves.

—Min Yoongi.

Chapter 34

NOTHING HAPPENED

•••

"Hey oppa"

"Oh hey Chaeyoungie," Jin greeted his friend with a wide smile before placing his iPad back on the counter, "What's up?"

"Have you seen your sister? She's a pain in the ass to find."

Jin shrugged, letting a long sigh escape his lips, "I haven't seen her since yesterday. She's been working non-stop."

Chaeyoung groaned under her breath, recognizing her bestfriend in all her glory.

She nodded and waved at her friend before going to check the OR board.

As expected, Hyejin was scheduled to be operating a patient in the OR 2 just thirty minutes after one in OR4.

'And she's overflowing herself with work so she doesn't think too much again,' Chaeyoung thought before rolling her eyes. 'I'm gonna kick her ass.'

Chaeyoung walked down the corridors and onto the OR 2's observing lounge. Since SGH was a teaching hospital, most of the operating rooms had observation lounges.

The girl looked down through the glass and watched the medical team do their magic.

Among the grey blouses, a dark one peeked her attention and she immediately recognized Hyejin's attending scrubs.

Chaeyoung frowned as her face tensed up. She made her way to the microphone and pressed the recording button,

"Dr. Kim." She gently spoke out with her teeth squeaking.

The entire surgical team looked away from their patient and up to the lounge.

Hyejin sighed against her mask before casually pulling her attention back to the opened chest in front of her, "What did I do again?"

"Are you overworking yourself?"

"I'm simply working, the 'over' part isn't included, and—"

"Let me rephrase the question. Are you taking in more surgeries so you don't have to think about your problems?"

Hyejin's eyes went back to the window with a hint of annoyance, "Seriously?"

"Yes. Seriously. And—"

The duo's conversation caught Jeno's attention as he stared at his superior. Chaeyoung lifted her brow while bringing her hand to her hip,

"Can I help you Dr. Lee? Focus." She pointed down at the patient before looking back at Hyejin, "I was saying that you can't run away."

"I am not running away."

"Oh yes you are. You avoided everyone and everything since it happened. You avoided Jin, you avoided home, you—"

"Ok I am running away. Suction please." Hyejin asked the nurse who obeyed almost instantly.

"Yes you are. So what we'll do is finish our day like we used to in Melbourne. What do you think?"

"Sounds good— More suction—"