♟NINE♟

S.O.S.

    S.O.S.

𝔞𝔟𝔟𝔞

Rrrrring! Rrrrring!

I roll out of bed, ignoring the hands that grab at my waist to keep me down. I lift the phone to my ear.

"Hello?" I groan.

Arms wrap around my waist and sweet nothings are muttered into my ear. I push my newest one-night-stand away. "Jerry, give me a second," I hiss.

"...Anastasia?" the voice on the other end asks meekly.

I furrow my eyebrows. In pitch and accent, it sounds like Jackie. She's the only one who pronounces my name that way, but I've never heard her sound so submissive and scared.

"Jackie?"

"I need to talk to you."

I gesture to Jerry to get ready to leave as my concern grows. "What's wrong?"

"I'm... I'm pregnant."

I almost drop the phone. "Get to my house as fast as you can."

"Okay."

I slam the phone onto its pedestal. "Okay, listen," I sigh as I turn to the boy in my room. "Last night was great, but you really need to go now."

"Oh, Princess, what about another round first?"

I cringe at the name. That's Hyde's nickname for me. His platonic name for me. And I don't like it being used in a sexual way.

"I said no. I'm sorry, but you have to go home."

He shrugs as if to say, "Your loss," and I watch him slip on his shirt and strut out of my house.

I fix up the sheets and get dressed, skidding down the stairs just as the bell rings. I open the door and Jackie immediately falls into my arms. She isn't crying or sobbing or saying anything, and that's what really worries me. She just stands there, clutching at my back and staring at the kitchen floor over my shoulder.

I pull away gently and close the door behind her and lead her to the couch. "What happened?"

"Well, you know how Michael and I have made love."

I nod.

Her teeth sink into her lips. "And I guess we weren't as careful as we should've been."

"You weren't on the pill?"

She shakes her head solemnly. I jot down the brand I use for my birth control pills. "Once this whole thing falls through, start taking these. Take one every day unless you're on your period. And if you're allergic to anything, make sure it's not in there."