♜FORTY-ONE♜

HOUSE OF THE RISING SUN

𝔱𝔥𝔢 𝔞𝔫𝔦𝔪𝔞𝔩𝔰

"Happy Veterans Day," Fez smiles. "Now, where have you hidden the chocolate eggs?"

"Uh, they're everywhere, Fez. Start looking," Eric taunts.

I watch as Jackie stands and rests her hands on Steven's thighs. "So, Steven, isn't Veterans Day so romantic?"

Michael seems to notice me tense slightly, so he rubs the small of my back soothingly.

"Yeah," the curly-haired boy nods. "Government pawns and missing limbs... That's amore."

"I know! I know. It's a day for people in love to have fun together."

"You know what?" Mike interrupts, probably trying to change the topic. "All this talk about fun is making me want to have fun. Hey, let's throw stuff at other stuff!"

"Man, that's perfect, I've got stuff!" Eric exclaims.

"Oh, really? Sorry, Ana, I want to go see the stuff!"

I chuckle as they run upstairs.

"So, Steven," Jackie continues, "Would you like to go to Mr. Forman's barbecue with me?"

"No," he says simply. "As a matter of fact, I don't want to go anywhere with you."

"Oh, that's okay! You know what? We can stay in."

"No, Jackie! Look, I told you again and again, I have no interest in you and you don't have a chance. And yet you keep thinking I have interest in you and you have a chance."

For some reason, I don't feel consoled by the rejection. I've come to terms with the fact that I like him, so why am I still upset?

Maybe he likes her but won't admit it. I frown at the thought. It does sound like Hyde. Wow, I'm a jealous bitch.

"Wait," she beams. "Did you just say that you're interested in me and I have a chance?"

"Okay, you know what? You forced me to do this. I'm going to explain my feelings to you through a highly disciplined form of Japanese poetry. Haiku. 'My heart aches with pain. When I see you, I vomit. Die away from me.'"

Okay, that was just mean.

"Ouch," Donna giggles.

"Sayonara."

Jackie's mouth hangs open as he rushes up the stairs. "Never have seventeen syllables hurt me so much. Why would he want to hurt me like that?"

"Because you're stalking him, Jackie," Donna scoffs.