♟TEN♟

GIMME SHELTER

GIMME SHELTER

𝔱𝔥𝔢 𝔯𝔬𝔩𝔩𝔦𝔫𝔤 𝔰𝔱𝔬𝔫𝔢𝔰

I peer over Donna's shoulder while she flips through a magazine, tuning out the game of Hot Hands that Fez and Kelso are playing in the background.

"Who wants cookies?" Kitty coos as she creeps down the stairs. 

We all turn our attention to her, thank her, and take some treats off of the plate she holds.

"They're carob, nature's chocolate."

I munch on mine as the rest of my friends return them to their original positions.

"Oh, come on! You wouldn't have known if I didn't tell you!"

"They're delicious, Mrs. Forman," I compliment, taking another.

"Thank you, dear. Oh, Eric! I picked out a really snazzy outfit for you to wear on Career Day."

"Oh that's, um, goodie!" her son cheers falsely.

I dust my hands off. Career Day is truly pointless. It's understandable that the school wants the juniors to explore career paths and such, but most of the people who participate in it have spent seventeen years with their parents learning about what they do. Plus, it's not as if anyone actually pays attention to the answers. They just write them down.

I don't have to do Career Day until next year, though, when I'll be a junior like everyone else but Jackie. I have no idea what I would do. My parents live halfway across the country, and if they haven't called me once yet without a real reason, they most likely won't call to help with schoolwork.

Jackie and I have the day off while everyone else is at their parents' jobs, so I just hope she won't take me shopping or something. I don't mind the company too much, but I have way too much stuff from our trips to the mall.

"Well, fine, Mr. Grumpy," Kitty cackles. "But I can't wait to show off my little man at work!"

"You know what? Me neither." He offers us a harshly whispered "Help me."

Hyde shakes his head in an appalled fashion. "Why Career Day, man? It's so lame."

"That's just because your mom's the lunch lady!" Kelso jeers.

Jackie lights up with realization. "Your mom is Gross Edna? Ew!"

He glares at her.

"I mean, cool," she adds swiftly.

"You bet it's cool. That's why I'm spending the day with Hyde and his mom. Right?" Fez beams.

Steven stays silent. 

"Hey, what are you two doing for Career Day?" Donna queries, gesturing toward Jackie and me.

"Staying home."