♜TWENTY-ONE♜

LOVE ME DO

LOVE ME DO

𝔱𝔥𝔢 𝔟𝔢𝔞𝔱𝔩𝔢𝔰

I knock on the sliding glass door of the Forman household, wrapping my jacket tighter around myself as it opens. 

"Hi, Mrs. Forman," I smile. "I made some cookies and I had extras so I thought I'd bring you some."

"Oh, that's wonderful, sweetie," she smiles. "But it's seven o'clock in the morning. Why are you baking so early?"

"I just couldn't sleep."

"Well, at least you made good use of your time. Would you like to have breakfast with us?"

I appreciate the gesture, but I know that she and Red don't need another mouth to feed. "That's alright, thank you-"

"No, I insist!" she ushers me in. "And for the record, you don't need to knock. None of the other kids do it, anyway."

"Is there anything I can help you with, then?"

"Sure, find some breakfast recipe and make it."

I watch her as she bustles around her kitchen expertly and I familiarize myself with the arrangement of various items in their cabinets. Halfway through the making of a six-person omelet, footsteps echo up the basement stairs.

I add cheese to the eggs as Hyde groggily snatches a cookie from the plate and sits on a stool at the countertop.

"Morning sunshine," I smirk, making myself some tea.

"Why are you here?"

"I was invited to eat breakfast with you guys."

"Whatever," he scoffs before adding, "Mrs. Forman, these cookies are delicious."

I put my hands on my hips. "I made them."

He coughs. "Oh, suddenly my mouth tastes like crap!"

Rolling my eyes, I pour a glass of orange juice for him. "It's the same recipe I used when I first came here, you dillhole. And you said you liked it."

"Feelings change, doll."

"Now, Steven, be nice. Anastasia helped to make breakfast!" Kitty scolds as she frantically tosses a sizzling piece of bacon onto a plate.

"That's right," I huff righteously. "I'm feeding you, so you'd better be grateful."

"Hey, orphan," Laurie's snide voice comes from behind me. I turn and give the girl a quick hug. "Morning, Mom."

I nod in acknowledgment as Hyde turns his nose up at her. She eats one of my cookies. "Damn, this is a good, Ana!"

"How'd you know I made it?"