♜TWENTY-FOUR♜

MISERY

MISERY

𝔱𝔥𝔢 𝔟𝔢𝔞𝔱𝔩𝔢𝔰

I sit across James's lap in the Forman's living room, leaning against his chest. As Laurie trots down the stairs, I carefully stand and hug her.

"God, I can't believe you're leaving," I sigh.

"I know," Jackie, who stands beside me, says, "I think some of my good taste was finally rubbing off on you."

"Aw, thanks, you guys!" Laurie smiles. "I'm going to miss you too."

She picks up a box and tosses a top at Michael. "Oh, Kelso, I almost forgot. I was cleaning out my room and I found one of your shirts."

"Say, how did that get there?" Hyde taunts from the staircase as she retreats to the kitchen and I return to James.

"That's funny," Kelso stammers. "This isn't even mine! Yeah, this must be Eric's shirt."

Jackie snags it and reads the tag. "Your mom sewed your name in it, Michael."

"Man, Eric's going to be pissed, huh? Yeah, I borrowed Eric's shirt because mine wasn't working right, and my mom must have sewn my name in it!"

His girlfriend glances at me. "I don't know, Michael."

"What, you think I'm lying? Jackie, if I were lying, I'd come up with a lot better lie than that."

"Yeah, you'd think so," Hyde teases.

She bites her lip. "Anastasia, come with me."

I give James a quick kiss before swiftly following her into the basement, where Eric and Donna are talking.

"Eric, we need to speak to Donna alone," Jackie snaps.

He laughs sarcastically. "Well, it's not like it's my house or anything-"

"Out."

"Okay."

As she assumes his seat, I take Hyde's chair. She opens her mouth multiple times as if she can't figure out how to phrase her thoughts before deciding on her words.

"You guys, I'm kind of worried about Michael and Laurie."

I catch Donna's eye and shake my head slightly since Jackie isn't facing me, trying to tell her to not reveal the secret straight-out.

"I mean, she found his t-shirt in her room, and he said it wasn't his even though it had his name in it. And at that time I believed him, but now I can't remember why. But if there is something going on, I think I want to know. But I don't want to know."

Donna hesitates. "I'm supposed to say..."

"You're supposed to say that nothing is going on and Michael loves me and that's all that matters."