Time To Talk

Once the panel was over, I decided to leave. I figured I would beat the traffic getting out of here, and I had looked around all the stalls and stands that were there. I walked out of the convention hall and out into fresh air. I pulled my mask off and took a deep breath. I didn't realise how warm it was in there until I had come back out into the fresh May air. I started taking off my accessories just in case anyone thought the guns were real. I stuffed it into the already full ruck sack I had bought inside and zipped it up. I threw the bag over one shoulder and started walking back to the car. I began pulling Bobby pins out of my hair and wig to try and release some strain on my scalp. I had a wicked headache, but it was worth it for the reaction I had gotten from Finley. I felt my phone vibrating in my pocket midway through the process and scrambled to pick it up in time.

"Hey Mum! How are you?" I asked, slowly walking. I pressed my beat up phone against my shoulder with my cheek and continued trying to remove hair pins.

"Hello sweetheart, I'm ok thank you! Dad and I were just wondering what time you were likely to be here?"

"Funnily enough Mum I just left! I was gonna ring you when I got back to the car."

"Did you meet that boy you're obsessed with?" She asked. "What was he like?"

" I did, but I'll tell you all about it when I get there! I'm just about to get in the car so I'll see you in about an hour." I said with a smile.

"Probably more like an hour and a half with traffic babe," Mum corrected. I rolled my eyes.
"Alright, I'll see you soon" I said "Love you!"

"Love you too!" She replied. I heard the beeps and put my phone away. I had unwittingly made it back to my car. I unlocked it and slid into the driver's seat. I sat for a moment just pondering what had happened. Had Finley really smiled at me during the panel? Or was I imagining it? And was he flirting during the meet and greet? I sighed and pushed the thought out of my mind. I was a nobody, just a woman who had done a good job on a costume. There was no way he would ever be interested. I was letting this crush get out of control. I needed to reign it in. His eyes flashed through my mind again. Those deep, piercing, green eyes. He had really been paying attention to every word I said and taken an interest. Why could none of the guys I had dated in real life act like that? All it took was some manners. I started the car and began the drive back towards my parents house. I knew I could have waited around to meet him after the convention, when he was on his way back to whichever hotel he was staying at. I figured I had already had enough of his time and some of his other fans deserved a chance to meet him.

When I got back to my parents, it was already six in the evening and I had been in the corset for twelve hours. I pulled up in the road, just outside of my parents house. I grabbed my change of clothes from the backseat, got out of the car and headed inside.

"Mum I'm here, I'm just getting changed quickly!" I shouted from the utility room, "I'm gonna use the small bathroom!" I needed out of this corset asap. It had been comfy for the most part, but sitting down in it was difficult to do and it restricted my breathing. Next time I made a costume like this, I would definitely leave some breathing room for myself. I pulled off the tight gun holders around my legs, and slipped off my boots. My feet were boiling and I felt relief as I put them on the cold tiled floor. I peeled off my trousers which were practically stuck to my legs. I had picked the least breathable material ever. I pulled on my comfy black leggings. I was beginning to regret my decision to get changed in the small space. I kept banging my elbow and hitting my head.

"Claire are you ok in there?" I heard Mum ask.
"I'm fine Mum!" I called back, "although I might need you to undo my corset so I can take it off!" Mum appeared and looked at me. She giggled and I turned around and allowed her to start undoing the lacing on the back of my corset.