Family Living

I woke early the next morning. I was surprised to see that Finley and I had cuddled up to each other in our sleep, but I guessed it was like second nature to our bodies. They felt comfortable together. My subconscious clearly wasn't as angry at Finley as I was. I carefully removed his arm from my waist. I kissed his cheek gently, so as not to wake him, and got up. Mr Boots stood up on the bed and stretched out whilst yawning. He gave me a few quick mews, to hint that he wanted food and I smiled.

"I'll feed you in a minute Boots, hold your horses." I grabbed my dressing gown and wrapped it around my shoulders before creeping out of my room. I went downstairs, and began making breakfast for everyone. I cooked some sausages, scrambled tofu, bacon and beans. All vegan of course. I knew my parents probably wouldn't eat the facon as I liked to call it, but I was sure they would eat everything else. As I waited for the food to cook, I boiled the kettle and set out five mugs. I put coffee in one, for Jamie, green tea bags in two, for Finley and I, and regular tea bags in the final two, for my parents. I made the hot drinks and carefully carried them up the stairs on a tray. I knew Mum and Dad were awake so I knocked on their door gently.

"Come in?" I heard Mum say. I gently pushed the door open with my foot, and slowly walked in, balancing the mugs carefully as I walked.

"Aw thanks Claire you didn't have to!" My Dad said, as I placed the piping hot cup of tea on the night stand next to him. I walked around the bed and placed one on Mum's stand too.

"It's no problem. I made sure I ordered the tea bags you like. They don't sell them here. I've also started cooking breakfast. It'll probably be ready in about twenty minutes, I'll call up once it's done!" I said with a smile.

"That's so lovely, thank you sweetheart" Mum said. I smiled and carefully picked the tray up. I walked out and gently pulled the door shut behind me. I was glad I had been a waitress for awhile when I was younger. It meant I could balance a tray on one hand with ease. I knocked on Jamie's door next, and got a grunt as a response. I knew that would happen though. I walked in and placed his coffee next to his face.

"Ugh, what time is it Claire?" He asked sounding exhausted.

"Half past eight." I said.

"Nope. Go away. I'm on holiday." He said waving erratically at me. I chuckled. I put the coffee on the night stand and stood up.

"Breakfast will be done in twenty minutes. You better be up. I promise you'll love it!" I said with a smile. He groaned and rolled over, placing a pillow over his head. I smiled, and left the room. When I walked into our room, Finley was sat up in bed and rubbing his sleepy eyes. His hair was a mess and stuck up at funny angles. He moved some of it away from his eyes, and I could see how exhausted he looked. He was pale and the bags under his eyes were dark.

"Why are you up so early?" He asked in his sexy morning voice. He stretched his arms above his head and set them down by his sides.

"I'm cooking breakfast for everyone. Here." I said as I handed him his mug of hot green tea.

"Thanks babe, you're the best." He said taking it out of my hands, carefully.

"Breakfast will be done in twenty minutes, but if you could come down and lay the table I would appreciate it." I said. He nodded as he blew on his tea to cool it down.

"I'll be down in ten. I'll just drink this and throw some clothes on." He said with a small smile. I nodded and exited the room without saying another word. I hated it when he was like this. He made it so difficult to stay angry at him, but I had to keep reminding myself what he said. We couldn't gloss over it like it hadn't happened. I went back downstairs and to feed Mr Boots. He chirped excitedly at me as I was preparing breakfast, and wound himself around my legs excitedly. I put his bowl on the floor and he began eating. I turned the radio on and began listening to the early morning music. I put the beans on, when everything else was nearly ready. I pulled the plates out of the cupboard and was almost dancing around the kitchen to the song on the radio. I was humming to myself absentmindedly as I flipped the bacon in the pan. I felt a hand slide across my lower back and jumped out of my skin. I turned quickly and smacked Finley square in the face with the spatula I was holding. I quickly put it down and started apologising, as he held his face.