Family Fun

I had been in the kitchen all day. I was cooking a full three course meal for Finley's family and I wanted it to be perfect. It was the first time they were officially coming for dinner and I had lots to do. We were starting with sweet and sour crispy tofu, on a bed of leafy greens, the main was going to be home made beyond mince burgers, and dessert was a vegan chocolate oreo cheesecake. The cheesecake was already chilling in the fridge and I was just finishing the crispy tofu. I still had to make the burgers, and get dressed. Finley was behind me chopping sweet potatoes so I could make fries.

"Are these ok C-Bomb?" He held up part of the chopped potato and I examined it.

"Oooo I'd give that a two out of ten Fin. The edges aren't straight, and the ends aren't flat. I just don't think it's acceptable for the Michelin star restaurant I'm running here." I winked at him and he rolled his eyes. "That's perfect babe. Thank you for your help today." I quickly kissed his cheek and he grinned.

"Well if you call eating cheesecake leftovers help then you're welcome, it was my pleasure." He replied. I laughed and emptied the tofu into a container. I placed the lid on loosely to stop any flies getting to it and began wiping out the pan with a washable cloth. I placed the pan into the dishwasher and put the cloth into the washing machine.

"I'm gonna go get changed Fin, I'll finish the rest when I come down ok?" I said. He nodded and carried on chopping the potatoes. I left the room and quickly ran upstairs. Fin's parents were going to be here any minute and I needed to try and look presentable. I tied my hair into a fishtail braid, pulling some of the hair loose to give it a slightly messy effect. I pulled on my favourite pair of Jean's, and paired it with a black satin V neck shirt. I quickly put some eyeliner, mascara and lipstick on. I checked myself in the mirror once more and smiled. The doorbell rang and echoed loudly off of the walls downstairs. I quickly ran down to answer it and Finley appeared. He was rolling his sleeves down, and I picked some potato peel off of his shirt. We answered the door and greeted Finley's family.

"Oh it's so good to see you again!" Lola said wrapping her arms around me. I hugged her back and we kissed each others cheeks. I hugged Georgio and Jax too and welcomed them in. Finley closed the door and hugged his family. Lola handed me a bottle of expensive looking gin.

"I thought we could have some with dinner! I've checked online and it's definitely vegan!" She said with a big smile.

"Aww thank you Lola that's so sweet!" I said taking it from her.

"None for Georgio though. He's driving!" She giggled and we made our way through to the kitchen. I whipped up four gin and tonic mixes and handed them out to everyone except Georgio.

"What do you want to drink Georgio? I have water, orange squash, iced sweet tea, or apple juice." He thought for a second.

"Iced tea please." He responded. I grabbed a glass and poured some in for him. We all said cheers and our glasses made a satisfying clang as they tapped together. I took a sip. The gin was delicious. It had a strong mixed berry flavour with slight citrus undertones. I placed my glass down and smiled.

"I have some last minute preparations to do, Fin do you want to show them through to the dining room, and I'll be there in five with the starter!" They all filed out of the kitchen. I checked the oven and Fin had put the sweet potato fries in. I used the oven glove to gently shake the pan, and closed it again. I added some herbs to the mince, along with some finely chopped onion and garlic. I mixed it all together with my hands and formed the mix into five burger patties. I got a frying pan out, and began prepping the starter. I poured the sweet chilli into some small tubs, and split the tofu between five small plates. Fin came back through and we carried the plates through to the table.