Round Two

We sat waiting for news for hours. Jamie and Malcolm took turns to go and get us drinks, and snacks. I stayed. I refused to move an inch until I knew what was going on with Finley. I leaned my head back and stared at the ceiling. The fans were spinning and I followed the blades. Around and around in their infinite rotational dance.

"There she is. This is her fault!" Lola's voice rang out. I immediately dropped my gaze. She was storming up to me. Malcolm was in tow trying to calm her down. "You promised me you would never hurt him. You ruined him!" She was spitting as she talked. I didn't disagree, I didn't cry, I just looked at her. She wasn't wrong.

"Mrs Beckett if you don't calm down I will get someone to escort you out." Malcolm said. He stood in between us to stop Lola in her tracks. She scoffed at him.

"I'm his Mother. I would like to see you try." She said, glaring at Malcolm. He didn't back down, he stood there and said simply,

"That's all well and good. But Finley is in a coma, I'm listed as his next of kin, and none of you have been here. Claire however has barely left his side. So I suggest you lower your voice, change your tone, and respect the woman who has been at your son's bedside for over a month." He said firmly. I was shocked that Malcolm had it in him. He always seemed so calm and relaxed. Lola backed off and sat a few seats away with Georgio. Jax however came and took a seat next to me.

"Any news?" He asked quietly. I shook my head.

"He's been in for six and a half hours. We haven't been told anything so I guessed they're still operating." I said quietly. Jax nodded, and then did something unexpected. He put his arm around my shoulders.

"Thank you for being here for him Claire. I feel so horrendous that we weren't. Things have been difficult since he got clean and I've been so busy working... I guess I lost touch. I shouldn't have. I'm glad he had a friend like you around looking out for him. Thank you." He muttered. This was the most 'emotional' I had seen Jax. He was more of a silent brooding type and never really expressed any emotion. At least not around me.

"It's the least I could do, especially after...well you know." I said. He nodded and gently rubbed my shoulder. I was so anxious I felt like my insides wanted to be outside, and even though I was exhausted, I knew I wouldn't sleep until Finley was out.

Ten minutes later a surgeon appeared. He approached the group and half smiled.

"The operation was a success. We have repaired the bleed. We don't know if he's going to wake up. There is still a lot of swelling on his brain, and I can't stress enough, he is in critical condition. He is in recovery at the moment, we will bring him up to his room when he's stabilised. He can't have all of you in the room. A maximum of two people at once please." He said. We all agreed and I frowned. So even though they had succeeded in everything, there was no guarantee. I did something I had never done before. I closed my eyes and prayed. I prayed that Finley would get better. I needed him to get better. Not for me, but for every single person who would miss him. The millions of fans he had who would be devastated. I thanked the surgeon and everyone began talking. It was decided that Lola and Georgio would go in, then Malcolm and Jamie, and then Jax and I. I still had a book in my bag. I would definitely be reading it to him.

A few hours later I was sat with Finley. Everyone else had gone home. Only one person was allowed to stay, and if I wasn't in his room, I would be sat in the waiting room. Everyone already knew that. I added all of them into one big group chat, along with my own parents. I would send them a message if anything changed. Finley looked awful. He was pale, had a fresh incision on his head, and he had lost so much weight.

"I've got a new book for you today sweetie. I think you'll enjoy this one, I know I did."

I pulled out the book I had brought. I began reading quietly to him. I hoped he could hear me, but I wasn't sure. Eventually a could feel myself getting tired. I pulled my blanket up around my shoulders and got myself as comfy as I could in the chair. I made sure I was facing Finley so if he woke up I would be there. I leaned against the back of the chair and curled up. I looked at him one last time, before falling into a light uneasy sleep.