The Falling Out

I walked out of the hectic party, into the cool night air. When it hit me I felt a wave of drunken dizziness hit me. I had stopped drinking awhile ago, but I was still very much intoxicated. There were so many famous faces here, I had been anxious to even host a party. Everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves, and Fin had been saying all night how it was the best Birthday he'd ever had. I answered my phone, which I had tried to ignore. We were into the early hours of the morning, and I was getting tired. I had been looking for Fin when the calls had started. I gave in and answered reluctantly.

"Hey Mum, are you ok?" I asked. I put a finger in the ear I didn't have the phone pressed to. I could barely hear what she was saying over music and general hum of voices from the house.

"Have you forgotten anything Claire?" She asked. I had no idea what she was talking about. I hadn't been to visit for a month, so I couldn't have left anything at their house, and I didn't remember them telling me they had any major events coming up.

"Uh, could you be a bit more specific Mum?" I asked. My intoxicated brain wasn't quite working at it's normal pace. I brushed my hair away from my face and waved at some people who were going home.

"You really have changed Claire. I can't believe you forgot Jamie's Birthday. You didn't even text him. He's so hurt." Mum replied angrily. I gasped and put my hand to my mouth. "Not a card, no present. Nothing. You know you should treat the people you care about a little better. I know you're enjoying yourself with Fin, but we all still exist you know."

"Mum I've been so busy it just slipped my mind." I replied. It really wasn't an excuse but it was the only one I had. Planning a party of this size had been a monumental task and an awful lot of work had gone in to putting it together. Jen had helped reluctantly, but as it was for Fin she had been helpful.

"We all get busy Claire. You should ring him and apologise." She instructed me. The irritation in her voice was clear. The dogs started barking loudly in the background.

"Of course I will. I'll ring him now. Thanks Mum I love you."

"Love you too sweetie. Try and be a bit more thoughtful." She sighed and then the line went dead. How could I forget Jamie's birthday? Especially as it was the day before Finley's. I looked at my phone and tried to get my eyes to focus on the bright screen. I found Jamie's number and called him. It rang for what felt like an eternity and Jamie finally answered.

"Hello Claire." He said. I could hear the irritation in his voice and I knew I was in the dog house. He definitely wasn't a big fan of mine at the moment.

"Hey Jay, I'm so sorry, I've been so busy..." I explained. I heard him huff on the other end of the phone.

"It's fine." His abrupt response told me all I needed to know. Jamie was officially angry at me. We had argued before but his tone was colder this time and I knew I had messed up in a big way.

"Let me make it up to you Jay. Please?" I begged. I heard my words slur as I spoke but I hoped Jamie wouldn't notice.

"Are you drunk? Where are you?" He asked. I bit my lip.

"Out with Finley." I replied.

"Sounds to me like you're at a party." He said. His tone was accusatory, and I could hear the anger through his voice. He was right though.

"Yeah, it's Fin's Birthday today, so I threw a party... it's wrapping up at the moment." I explained. Jamie let out an annoyed half laugh.

"I guess that's where your loyalties lie now. You know what Claire, just forget it. It's not like I matter to you anymore anyway." I was shocked. Where had Jamie gotten that idea from?