Friend Therapy

Finley's POV

I had barely left the house. I was in complete turmoil. She had broken up with me and then we had slept together, and then turned up drunk in Malcolm's car. She was ignoring any messages I sent her and I wasn't sure if I should give up or not. I was certain she still cared for me. I needed to get out of my own head. I decided to message Jamie. I knew it was strange to text him, but he had been such a good friend when Claire and I were together I was hoping he would be around to talk.

Hey it's Fin. I know this is weird, but I don't know who else to talk to. You're the only person who might understand what I'm going through Jay and I'm struggling. Are you free today? We can get in the pool and chill.

I sighed and put my cell phone on my chest. Mr Boots was curled up next to me and I gently stroked his head. He meowed and began purring. He hadn't been himself recently. I guessed he was missing Claire as much as I was.

"Shall we get you some food little dude?" I said quietly. He stood up. He stretched out all of his limbs and jumped off the bed. I slowly got up and pulled a shirt on. I stuffed my cell phone into my pyjama pants and began walking with Boots down to the kitchen. My stomach was growling like a wild animal but I couldn't stomach food. I felt nauseous. I had ever since Claire had walked out of the door for the last time.

I grabbed Mr Boots' food from the refrigerator and emptied it into his bowl. He sniffed at it and then began eating. I grabbed my cell phone and checked it. No response. I sighed. I guessed that would be the case. Jamie was Claire's friend after all, he probably wasn't interested in speaking to me.

After a shower and forcing some food into myself, reluctantly, I felt a little better. I was surprised when the buzzer for the gate went. I wasn't expecting anyone today. I walked downstairs, still towel drying my hair, and answered.

"Hello?" I said.

"Fin it's me. I forgot the code, you wanted to talk?" Jamie's deep voice drifted through the speaker and I was so grateful to hear it. I pressed the button to let him in and opened the door. He drove up and got out of his beat up convertible. He came to the front door and stopped. "Am I allowed in... or?" He said standing in front of me.

"Of course, come in sorry!" I replied. I stepped aside and Jamie entered.

"Look Fin, Claire doesn't know I'm here and this is a little awkward for me, but I know this can't be easy for you." He said flatly.

"Oh. That's ok, you didn't have to come Jay." I replied softly.

"I did. You're still my friend and I care about you. Just understand that this isn't going to be easy for me. I'm not going to sit here and talk about Claire behind her back. She's my best friend and I'm not willing to entertain it. That being said I'm here for you." I understood what Jamie's stance was and nodded.

"I don't wanna talk smack about her anyway Jay. I just..." I sighed. My emotions were all over the place. "This is so hard. I know it's my fault I'm in this position but I can't get her out of my head."

"Ok well, let's talk then. How about we sit in the pool, relax and have some guy time." He suggested. I nodded gratefully. I was already in my swim shorts.

"Ok I'll leave you to get changed. I'll meet you out there dude. Thanks so much Jay. I really didn't know who else to speak to." Jamie simply nodded. I left him in peace and strode out to the pool. I dove into the cool water and surfaced a few seconds later. I flicked my hair away from my eyes and wiped water off of my face.

A few minutes later, Jamie appeared and joined me. I sat on the steps as he seated himself on one of the raised areas around the pool.

"So what's up Fin?" He asked looking at me. His deep chocolate eyes were searching my face, they seemed less friendly than usual, but I understood why.