Lad's Day

Finley's POV

Claire had left early today. Much earlier than she usually did. She had told me why the night before but I had forgotten. Just another consequence of my injuries. If I didn't commit something to memory properly, it would be forgotten. Sierra was sitting on my abdomen. Her purrs were rumbling through me, as I scratched her chin. She was a beautiful moggy, with perfect markings all over her body. I had grown to love her like she was my own cat. She had a place in my heart, just as Mr Boots had.

"Shall we get you some food?" I cooed at her softly. She let out a series of quick short meows. That meant yes. I slowly sat up and Sierra moved off of me. I was finally off the crutches and felt a lot better. The only problem I had was Claire was still nervous. It was like she wanted to commit to the relationship, to us, but there was something holding her back. I wish I knew what it was. I stretched my limbs and stood up. It was time to get ready for the day. I threw on a shirt and walked out of the room. Sierra was trying to wind her way through my legs as I headed to the kitchen. She quickly realised it was a bad idea when I accidentally stood on her tail. I grabbed her food and emptied it into her bowl. It almost made me gag. I hated the smell of meat and it was a major downside to living with a cat. I heard three loud knocks at the front door. Who would that be at this time of the morning on a Saturday? I headed to the front door and left Sierra to eat in peace. I opened it and there stood Jay. I hadn't seen him since before my accident. I grinned at him widely and we both shared a 'bro' hug. I invited him in and remembered what was going on today. Jamie and I had been instructed to spend the day together by my wonderful other half. Not that I minded. Jay was always a hoot and I enjoyed him being around.

"How you doing bud?" I asked as he took his shoes off.

"Not bad mate, it's been awhile how are you feeling now? Claire told me you were getting better. I have to say though, I do not like the haircut." He said. My hair was slowly growing back. It was sort of curly and sort of spikey at the moment which made it difficult to style. Most days I just brushed it and left it.

"Yeah, I just can't wait for it to grow back. Although the doctors said it might be patchy where the scars are." I scrunched my nose up. Talking about my injuries had been the hardest part other than recovery. I felt almost ashamed I had put myself in the situation to receive them. Of course, also knowing the two cretins who had mugged me were still at large, also didn't help. Jamie came and gave me another hug.

"Well I'm just glad you're here. You scared the crap out of me a couple of times. Prick." He mumbled affectionately. I laughed and slapped his back.

"Can I get you a drink? Coffee? Tea?" I asked him. He shook his head. He looked almost awkward standing in front of me. He wouldn't meet my gaze. This was completely out of character for Jay. "Is everything ok?" I asked. I stuffed my hands into the pockets of my pyjama bottoms.

"No." Jamie said bluntly.

"What's up man? Have I pissed you off?" He let out a hefty sigh. So that was a yes then.

"Well, it's not just you. It's Claire too Fin." He said. I knew exactly where this was going. I rubbed my face.

"Ok Jay. I know where this is going. Come on, I need a coffee before we have this talk." I mumbled. I headed towards the kitchen. Jamie followed behind me. Why hadn't Claire warned me? Oh wait. She definitely had. Stupid broken brain. I began prepping my coffee. I ground some beans, placed them into the fancy cafetiere and waited. "You sure you don't want one Jay? There's enough here for both of us." I offered. He shook his head again. He really was annoyed. I poured my coffee and began blowing on it. I leaned against the cool marble counter and Jamie stood opposite me. The silence was almost deafening.